OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Benelli M2 advice needed!  (Read 4182 times)

Offline Jwill130

Benelli M2 advice needed!
« on: February 10, 2019, 02:04:30 PM »
I just recently got a Benelli M2 20 gauge with 26” barrel. I’m plannning on using it this spring for turkeys. I’ve already bought some federal Tss #9 when i got the fun. I have a Indian creek .555 choke that I had bought a while back on sale cause I knew I was going to buy a m2 eventually. Is this choke to tight? What would you buy? I plan on shooting the TSS, but I bought some of the long beard xr also. I plan on shooting next week to see how it does but just curious on other people’s experience with them! Thanks guys!

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Benelli M2 advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 04:37:33 PM »
In my opinion i would think that choke you have would be little tight ... i feel Tss likes more of open choke .. just my opinion ... If you search the forum , i think you will fine lot of reading on the Benelli M2 20 gauge ...Out of my Rem 870 just with Federal HW 7 , I'm shooting 565 ..... You might want to Look at Carlson 575 ...

Offline sasquatch1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 04:38:52 PM »
Shoot it and see, I think it’ll be ok. I have Carlson’s 565 in mine and the 555 in my 870

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online kwild835

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 08:18:06 AM »
.555 Indian Creek will probably throw a nasty tight pattern.  The choke itself will not be too tight for tss.  If you want a more forgiving pattern I would look at a .562 Sumtoy or Indian Creek.  For a 50/50 type pattern I would look for a .570ish choke like a Carlson's or Trulock.  Lot of folks like the .582 HS strut choke for a more open pattern. https://www.wingsupply.com/hs-undertaker-ported-choke-tube-20ga-benelli-m2.html

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 11:07:32 AM »
I shoot an IC 555 out of an 11-87. pattern is a little smaller than a basket ball at 20 yards. That's good by me.

Offline Ranger007

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 08:47:17 PM »
Have a M2 with 24” barrel. Have shot both the .555 and .562 IC And out of my gun it was hard to tell the difference between the two.

The .562 is what I hunt with but with a clean barrel it will put up the same 10” numbers as the .555.

Both are killers I would shoot the .555 before I purchased the .562. Also my .562 was “custom” from Indian creek so if you really want one have to order now they only sell .555 in stores that I know of.

Offline Jwill130

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 10:41:29 PM »
I’m planning to shoot this weekend. I have the gun, choke, and ammonia hand just not the time til this weekend. When i got the gun, i ran a bore snake through it a couple of times with a couple drops of clp. Is that sufficient enough? It came way less “greasy” than stoegers I have got in the past.

Offline Ranger007

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 08:19:41 PM »
I would scrub the barrel with a brass brush and bore cleaner then run patches until they come out clean. Gives you a good clean baseline to start with.

I have seen new guns pattern terrible until this was done.

Don’t want to chase chokes, pellet numbers and/or good pattern with TSS when the problem was a dirty barrel the whole time.

Offline tree-rat sniper

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 08:52:50 PM »
Your M2 barrel is chrome lined so when you get it cleaned with your bore cleaner, try running some Flitz polish down the bore, or never-dull..It'll shine like gold!  I actually improved the patterns with my Franchi from a light Flitz treatment.
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

Offline Jwill130

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 08:46:47 AM »
I just ordered an adapter and some brass brushes, patches, patch holder and some bore mops from Dewey for my cleaning rods I already have. Would Hoppes #9 okay? I have a ton of it on hand. Do y’all clean with the turkey choke in the barrel or put a more open choke in to clean? One article I read said to use like a cylinder or improved cylinder to deep clean then clean the threads and reinstall turkey choke. Sorry for all the questions, this is the first time I’ve had basically a dedicated turkey gun and spent this kind of money on TSS shells, so I would like to get it right!

Offline Ranger007

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 12:44:39 PM »
Yep #9 will be good.

I usually put in a factory cylinder choke in to clean. It is hard to get a bore snake through a .555 much less a good size patch. You can clean the choke if needed while out of the barrel with the brass brush.