OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Oddball striker question  (Read 2205 times)

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
Oddball striker question
« on: February 10, 2019, 07:46:08 AM »
For one reason or another, I've been wondering about two striker woods that no one seems to talk about. Yew and Holly. I don't think I've ever seen a yew striker but I have seen a one piece Holly made by Halloran.

Anybody have any experience with either of these two as strikers?

My follow up: How receptive are call makers having you send them striker blanks to be made into strikers?

Offline JLH

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Oddball striker question
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 08:10:10 AM »
The Stuckey guy on ebay makes a holly striker....never seen a yew.
I'd imagine yew would be pretty darn soft....may be similar to mountain laurel or rhododendron....which most of the friction competition callers use for a kee kee striker.

I have a hand carved laurel striker.....its not awesome....but it purrs like a chanp.

Holly is about as hard and as dense as walnut, so in my opinion, not a fantastic striker wood for yelps and cutts....may make a nice soft striker....like a harder version of a cedar.

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 09:15:07 AM »
I'd imagine yew would be pretty darn soft....may be similar to mountain laurel or rhododendron....which most of the friction competition callers use for a kee kee striker.

I have a hand carved laurel striker.....its not awesome....but it purrs like a chanp.

Holly is about as hard and as dense as walnut, so in my opinion, not a fantastic striker wood for yelps and cutts....may make a nice soft striker....like a harder version of a cedar.

This is spot on right here. I had a holly striker from a well known maker and I had it all of 2 days. Was too light and soft to me. Off to another home it went.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline bobk

• In Memorial
  • Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 09:47:49 AM »
I had a holly striker. It was not for me, very soft and light. I gave it to a freind.

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 01:00:07 PM »
I've used Holly and wasn't a big fan of it.... my favorite soft wood striker would be Dogwood by far, but even at that, it's not gonna be a go to for me or a striker I feel I need in the vest.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 01:53:45 PM »
I've used Holly and wasn't a big fan of it.... my favorite soft wood striker would be Dogwood by far, but even at that, it's not gonna be a go to for me or a striker I feel I need in the vest.

I have a Cox Dogwood striker I like a lot. Never seems to make the cut though

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 04:55:54 PM »

He also has a web site if you are interested. https://obsessioncustomcalls.mysimplestore.com/
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 08:43:28 PM »

He also has a web site if you are interested. https://obsessioncustomcalls.mysimplestore.com/

Lmao thanks. I'm aware of who Derrick Stuckey is though.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 09:15:20 PM »

Lmao thanks. I'm aware of who Derrick Stuckey is though.
You're welcome.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline BTH

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Proverbs 3:5-6. I like the snood!
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 09:56:32 AM »
Done the 1 piece holly thing and tried a 2 piece holly with some different weighted and light tops. Also ran some some with drilled out tops. Was not a fan.
I want to try a dogwood though. I will tell you Daddy Rat's (strut zone) Paul's 1 piece maple is the best soft talker striker I have ran. It will get some volume to it as well if need be. But offers lots of control for the close work.
Phil 4:13