OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: More Front End?  (Read 4809 times)

Offline Fdept56

More Front End?
« on: February 09, 2019, 04:58:10 PM »
I just started making calls and am trying to not waste all of my materials. I was hoping someone with more experience than me could tell me what they think could give me a little more front end to my yelps. More/less side tension or more/less back tension maybe? I’m sure this is different for every individual, but maybe there are some general things that could help? Thanks!

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
Re: More Front End?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 08:09:06 PM »
What side tension are you using now? What type/thickness of reeds? How many reeds? My initial gut feeling is that the bottom reed/reeds are too loose, but that is a wild guess. It is also easy to put too much back tension which can deaden the reed(for me).
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 09:11:34 AM »
Besides the factors that gergg points out, fundamentally, I think the high end depends on the amount of the secondary reed that is exposed in a call.  For instance, if you are primarily using a V-cut design and not getting any high-end, try modifying the call to a combo cut by removing one of the side tabs.  That will usually give more high-end while still maintaining the rasp in the low end created by the primary reed and the cut.  (If that doesn't work, remove the other side tab to make a batwing and try that) 

If you are making your own calls, I recommend always starting out with single reed cuts in the primary reed and then progressing towards more complicated cuts to get the sound you are looking for.  Once you understand how the reed cuts and reed exposure influence sound, you will rarely end up with a call that doesn't sound good enough to take to the woods.

Offline Fdept56

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 09:22:37 AM »
Gregg, I know this answer is inadequate but I honestly don’t know. I’m using Ricky Bishop’s Lill Jiggy that he just came out with and instead of numbers to go by on the side tension there is just marks to line up with. I knew what I was getting and I am still extremely pleased with the jig! Spending $60 to make some calls for myself sounded better than spending the money on a Feather Ridge. The reeds are just what he had in the kit so I don’t know the thickness of any of them. I have some proph at work that I’m hoping will help out.

GobbleNut, thanks for the info! I should’ve mentioned that I’m fairly experienced with modifying calls. I know that a ghost cut usually sounds best for me but I can’t seem to get the “two note”as much as I would like, it’s either all front end before I start hacking at it more or turns in to all back end once I cut a hair too much. Guess I just need to find the happy medium!

Thanks guys and any more info would be greatly apppriciated!

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 09:53:17 AM »
I would recommend ordering some material that you know the thickness of from a supplier (Pioneer is a good source) so you know what you're putting together in a call.  Reed material is cheap.  That in itself will help lead you in the right direction.  Reed thickness and combination is a big factor.  Personally, I would get mostly proph and material of .004 or less,...the thicker stuff is much harder to work with (at least for me). 

As for making the modifications, very minute changes in the reed cuts can make major differences in the sound in a call.  I think most folks who modify their calls make too big of changes.  Small modifications to the depth of reed cuts, tab cuts, reed edges, etc. really make a difference. 

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 05:32:57 PM »
What GobleNut said....you need consistency and that means knowing what you are working with. Take notes on every call you make, what reeds, cuts, what side mark you used, back tension, etc.....otherwise it will be very difficult to make appropriate changes.

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls

Offline Fdept56

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 09:06:50 AM »
I completely agree about having to know what I’ve got! I’ve been making notes on what I’ve been building but now that I’m out of what came with the kit it’s just a starting point.

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 05:02:43 PM »
Sounds like you are on the right path, once you know what you are working with and can get like product again from a known supplier, you will figure it out pretty quickly.

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 09:03:03 PM »
Interesting product. I just watched this video so I could get a better idea of what you were working with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKDJs4UXZx8

I would do what my buddy Jim recommended. Start with a V cut and make SMALL cuts to alter it if it's not giving you the right sound. Take your time. I'd go even slower than he recommended. Start with your V, and then nip off a little of the wing, then try it. Still not there? Nip off a little of the opposite wing, then try it. If you've completely exhausted the call and it's still not there, then try changing ONE variable that you can control, like side tension.

Good luck! It took me a Maxwell House can full of calls that were junk before I could consistently make calls I was willing to give away to my buddies. You'll get there!

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 04:49:36 PM »
A reverse combo cut works better for me, but I need the front end to be about 1/2 to one octave higher than it currently is.  I am assuming that side tension determines this?

Offline Fdept56

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 06:04:53 PM »
A reverse combo cut works better for me, but I need the front end to be about 1/2 to one octave higher than it currently is.  I am assuming that side tension determines this?
Im still new and I’m sure that you’ll get some better advice than from me but I’m finding that the more you cut away from the top reed the higher it will be. I knew a ghost cut worked best for me and after chasing a rabbit hole trying to find something else, I started clipping the wings off a little more and that gives me a good front end. Also, I have found that the farther you have your top reed extended from the second, the raspier it will be. I would try one or both of those things if I were you, clipping away tiny parts of the top reed or stacking them a little bit closer.