OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Shout out for JLh  (Read 5804 times)

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
Shout out for JLh
« on: February 09, 2019, 04:25:53 PM »
I pmed back and forth with Jeff Who goes by JHL on here. I ordered some strikers from him. A maccassar , heavy cedar and a hickory. They arrived today and I spent the morning running them on every surface imaginable. They are well balanced , look awesome and sound consistant on everything I put them to. I have a ton of strikers and these rank up there with the best ones I have. I text him and he called me back. We talked for half an hour about turkey hunting , bow hunting and strikers. I ordered 6 more from him . A purple heart , yellowheart , osage and two or three I havent made my mind up on.His strikers are that good guys and he is a super nice guy also. Do yourself a favor and try his strikers out. Im sure you wont be disappointed.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Sx4

Re: Shout out for JLh
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 04:38:38 PM »
I have not tried one of Jeff's strikers yet but one thing I know about Jeff... He knows what sounds good and he wouldn't sell it if he didn't think it sounded good. I would have no fear in trying any of the strikers he makes! He has them on eBay too and many are going for a great price!  :turkey2:

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 08:40:33 PM »
 :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Just what I need... somebody else making a great call or striker! Lol! (Jeff is a great guy)

**coming from you, Spit - that is high praise. When you say a “ton of strikers”, you’re not kidding!  ;D

Offline JLH

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 08:15:39 AM »
Thanks guys!

Ill have some good things coming....keep an eye on the classifieds.

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 08:20:41 AM »
I know you know what a GREAT striker is Jody, as we have similar taste in Stuckey straight tips, and various other strikers as it is.

This is definitely high praise, and something to make note of to try down the road.

Offline SoIncallcollector

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 09:52:41 PM »
I pmed back and forth with Jeff Who goes by JHL on here. I ordered some strikers from him. A maccassar , heavy cedar and a hickory. They arrived today and I spent the morning running them on every surface imaginable. They are well balanced , look awesome and sound consistant on everything I put them to. I have a ton of strikers and these rank up there with the best ones I have. I text him and he called me back. We talked for half an hour about turkey hunting , bow hunting and strikers. I ordered 6 more from him . A purple heart , yellowheart , osage and two or three I havent made my mind up on.His strikers are that good guys and he is a super nice guy also. Do yourself a favor and try his strikers out. Im sure you wont be disappointed.
Could not have said it any better. His strikers are flat out awesome. Already have two and more in the works. Great guy and easily one of the most knowledgeable guys I've met when it comes to woods and strikers. Highly recommend trying his strikers out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline MO HUNTER

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 10:32:00 PM »
Alright...based on a few recommendations I purchased a couple of strikers from Jeff at JLH. I dont know nearly as much about woods as most of you on here...but I do know a fair bit about customer service, and Jeff is one of the best! I have dealt with a couple guys on this site and their customer service is unmatched! Cant wait to run these thi.gs when they come in!  :blob10:

Offline Caspar

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 11:40:26 PM »
i just got my first set of strikers from jeff yesterday. i got the tulipwood,cedar and hickory. im really impressed with how they look and feel. ill be picking up a few more very soon

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 02:08:58 PM »
They are turning out to be some of the best strikers out there. I would never say the best , but they seem to run right with what some call the best.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline SoIncallcollector

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 02:50:19 PM »
They are turning out to be some of the best strikers out there. I would never say the best , but they seem to run right with what some call the best.
Totally agree. Strikers are the hardest thing to say someone makes the best one hands down. Such an individual thing with grip, grip pressure, angle its held, way its ran on surface, and on and on. So many different factors that might make it sound good to me but not someone else. Jeff's though I'd comfortably recommend any of his strikers . Weighting and balance according to each wood have been perfect for me. I like the tip of them as well. Easy to play. I'm very picky about a striker and I've never been more impressed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline slwayne

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 07:18:10 AM »
OK, you all convinced me.  Have three on the way from Jeff, heavy hickory, katalux and black/white ebony.  I usually buy a new call or two each year but this year I decided to work on upgrading my striker collection instead.  In addition to these three from Jeff I have added a Stuckey macassar ebony and Fred Cox tulipwood and hickory.  And I agree with the comments about what a great guy Jeff is to work with.  He texted me pics of some of the bw ebony strikers he is currently working up so that I could choose the one I want.  Have spoken on the phone with him a couple times since the text.  Excellent customer service.

Offline boatpaddle

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 09:02:48 PM »
Thanks for the heads up...

Mine are ordered....
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Offline Gog1015

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 09:54:57 PM »
Received my tulip wood, hickory and katalox strikers and they are all fantastic! Each one was individually packaged in nice striker tubes that will be great for the vest, I will definitely be buying more.

Offline MO HUNTER

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 12:35:12 PM »
Alright, they arrived last night! Cumaru, Red Gum, and Nlack and White Ebony. I was very surprised by the Gum...it has a great grip on the call surface. The Cumaru... that is probably going to be my go to this year. I absolutely love the BnW Ebonyon my crystal calls. I ran all 3 of them on all the surfaces I have (crystal, glass, aluminum, copper, sla-tex, copper) and they performed well. They seem to be balanced well and are not super heavy. On one call, using the three strikers I heard 3 distinct sound differences. My wife thinks I'm crazy... but I'm ok with it.
Jeff - thanks so much for your beautiful work and professionalism! #customerforlife

Offline KeyDett

Shout out for JLh
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 11:49:55 AM »
I spoke to Jeff this morning about some strikers. What I thought would be a five minute conversation turned into a 30 minute deep dive into different woods. I was amazed that Jeff took this amount time to talk strikers with me. I ended up ordered a katalux and a cedar. I’m really excited to get them and will report back on how they do.  If you haven’t spoke th Jeff I highly recommend spending a few minutes with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk