OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hands on turkey school  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Woodhaven

Hands on turkey school
« on: February 08, 2019, 10:25:47 AM »
Hunting school for turkey hunting would be nice, not just for the beginners but to help some of the ones who has hunted some

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
Re: Hands on turkey school
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 11:20:43 AM »
There are more books and DVDs about turkey hunting than you could watch or read in a week. The very best teacher is the turkey themselves. Time in the woods with the turkeys is the best way to learn. Turkey hunting is a continuing learning process that never ends. Every single Gobbler is different and there is no set rule for how to deal with him.
If it was even possible for someone to give you a set routine that all you had to do was follow the steps and every time  you'd kill a Gobbler, you would have ruined what makes Turkey hunting great.
It is the challenge and uncertainty that makes it so addictive.

There are a lot of books with story's about turkey hunting, and some that attempt to teach  you. But hands down the best book for a new Turkey  hunter is "Turkey hunting digest " by Jim Spencer if you read this book and comprehend it you will have a solid base to work from.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 11:36:45 AM by LaLongbeard »
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 11:39:30 AM »
May look for "seminars"

I do these several of these every year under my "Turkey University" line of seminars and cover a variety of aspects of turkey hunting, yes sometimes for the beginner but also do "seasoned" hunter seminars too.

The "Seasoned" Topics I cover have included:
 (I really need to start filming these)

DSD Deadly Decoy Sets
Blinds, Bows and Beards
Let's "Talk" Turkey: Mastering the Mouth Call
Let's "Talk" Turkey: Mastering the Slate Call
Learn the Language: Talking Turkey
Understanding Turkey Behavior
The Dominance Game
Run & Gun for Gobblers
Filming Your "Turkey" Hunts
Locating Longbeards
The Traveling Turkey Hunter
Tasty Turkey Recipes
Making Great Displays!!
Late Seasons and Long Spurs
Hook'd on Hunting Turkeys
Are you Ready to Make Em' Gobble

MK M GOBL
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 12:29:27 PM by MK M GOBL »

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 12:52:33 PM »
There is a turkey school at the Westervelt Lodge in Alabama, used to be with Tom Kelly but now it's taught by Eddie Salter.

Offline Woodhaven

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 01:36:08 PM »
Thx

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 06:55:43 AM »
I’ll agree w MK M GOBL seminars are a great start. Maybe one of the best. I also agree w LaLongbeard time spent in the woods is key. The problem w that from a very green person’s standpoint is you often have no idea what you’re trying to watch or observe. It takes a long time. When I was a kid my state had very recently opened a season in the 80s. Myself and others had been at it in other states but the knowledge seemed limited and nobody shared anything w you.
It was strictly learn as you go and it was tough. Today’s day n age have somebody wanting to pay for an instant answer for instance “going to school”. I know that’s not your intent just try to realize many guys here are at it a long time and they’re still learning many times out.
Years ago we had no vast resource as in here to bounce things off others. Thank Shannon for making it available.
Use both the seminars as a start, use the woods time too to further your learning. Don’t expect instant success but that does happen also. Keep your mind open and analyze what did n didn’t work at dif times.
Never rule anything out just because it did or didn’t happen one time especially early on. Each bird/situation can be very different. So can day to day, pieces of a day or parts of a season.
If you can find a mentor it’ll lesson your learning curve. If not you’ve got a whole bunch here. It’ll help but you’ve gotta do it yourself a few times to understand. It’s a process. Enjoy the ride

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 08:08:14 AM »
The best hands on turkey school is to hunt with another good hunter. You will both learn something from each other. You do not need to sit around in a class learning about decoys and paint schemes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 09:35:07 AM »
Two classes or seminars that could be very useful are map reading and how to use your gps.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 01:32:00 PM »
I just saw that The Hunting Public guys did a school in Miss on scouting for deer. I almost couldn't believe it. All the "students" looked to be middle aged, kinda wonder what they been doing all these years before now. Anyway I'm sure if there doing deer schools the Turkey schools will be following .
I'm not against schools of any kind and I know people have to learn somewhere, but I just can't imagine paying someone to show me how to find a deer in Mississippi lol. To each his own as they say.

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 08:05:47 PM »
Im sure it would shorten up the learning curve,but im glad i learned through books and trial and error..Heck sometimes I still learn from trial and error..

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 08:37:48 PM »
For me personally, learning on my own sticks better. Real life experience trumps everything.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 10:43:18 PM »
I like books as well because they can give you ideas that you may not have thought on on your own like scratching the leaves, using your hat to simulate a turkey coming down and stuff like that.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 05:02:33 PM »
Books are great and watching video's etc... but nothing compares to spending time in the woods with turkeys and learning from your mistakes and being successful in your hunting experiences ... Boots on the ground and buy you some good walking boots because you will need them... buy you some good custom calls , set your gun up and pattern it with good choke and shells and find you some turkeys to hunt....REMEMBER this from us old turkey hunting always have a backup plan .. sometimes you will need A,B and C plan... form experience you will learn this about planning ... best if you find turkeys to keep it to yourself ....good luck...

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 08:53:07 PM »
I just saw that The Hunting Public guys did a school in Miss on scouting for deer. I almost couldn't believe it. All the "students" looked to be middle aged, kinda wonder what they been doing all these years before now. Anyway I'm sure if there doing deer schools the Turkey schools will be following .
I'm not against schools of any kind and I know people have to learn somewhere, but I just can't imagine paying someone to show me how to find a deer in Mississippi lol. To each his own as they say.

Couldn't figure that one out either. Whats next ? A bunch of sponsors and commercials. Hopefully not.
I think most of their videos have a bit of teaching methods in them though.
Who is that video guy with 16 A5 ? Maybe he will chime in.