OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Strut Stopper StoryThread  (Read 17033 times)

Offline Jroddc

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Strut Stopper StoryThread
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2019, 05:48:48 AM »
We haven’t started yet here in New Jersey. It opens the 22nd. And New York opens May 1st. I’ll be hunting in both so if I’m successful you guys will know for sure. Good luck whoever is still hunting!

Offline MDTOM84

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2019, 11:00:16 AM »
We start Thursday here in Maryland

Offline valerio024

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2019, 08:32:31 PM »
Our season starts here in Ohio on Monday!

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2019, 08:50:58 PM »
IF he only had some hooks. Killed this dude on louisianna public land last Thursday afternoon. very little sign, very few turkeys, lots of hogs, and high water....but after 2 days and 12 miles of scouting I found one bird in the AM, and lord willing I killed him that evening 3 minutes into my setup. sat down at 355 and pulled the trigger at 358. scratching only!! he was right where I worked him that morning. 10 3/4 paint brush. 22lbs, only one spur that was 5/8 and the other was broken off. its been a good year
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline Dmason3

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2019, 09:22:32 PM »
Congrats! That’s a great trophy. Hunting in Illinois has been tough. Getting on some birds but still henned up for the most part. Called in a satellite Tom last weekend and he saw some jakes across the field and he took off running out of there. Had 8 jakes gang rape my laydown hen yesterday morning while the strutters hung up at 80 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2019, 12:46:28 AM »
Congrats! That’s a great trophy. Hunting in Illinois has been tough. Getting on some birds but still henned up for the most part. Called in a satellite Tom last weekend and he saw some jakes across the field and he took off running out of there. Had 8 jakes gang rape my laydown hen yesterday morning while the strutters hung up at 80 yards.

stay with the big bird. youll get him
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2019, 03:40:01 PM »
Nice job Dzsmith.
Keep after them Dmason, hopefully it will all come together. All those Jakes is a good sign
For next year, but the Toms are defiantly afraid of them: especially in a group. 

Offline Dmason3

« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2019, 03:47:55 PM »
It’s definitely a weird year on my hunting spot. The yearly roost is completely dead and they’re roosting in  another spot they only roost during the fall. Gobbling their heads off til flydown then dead silence.

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2019, 08:10:54 PM »
Congrats dzsmith! Got on one opening morning but he's got a slew of hens. Stopped at another listening spot only to have one going crazy and I had to be at work in 20 minutes. Friday is my next day out. I think our birds are just now wanting to get cranked up. I think 3rd week will be the best. Hopefully try and help the team out. You turkey killin machines lol
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
 Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2019, 04:45:23 PM »
Boy the weather doesn't seem to want to give us a break. 35+ mph winds, been raining for 2 days. Today is actually the first time I've had a gobbler shy away from my full strutter. Only heard 1 gobbler, him, and buddy that was it! Incredible how nothing is gobbling. Supposed to be 70 tomorrow and very little wind. I don't know, I guess just keep on plugging. Gonna hit the new spot tomorrow with the wife. Hopefully someone can score. I can say that missouri definitely has a shortage of turkeys. Our stupid MDC is too worried about the elk, bears and mountain lions that we aren't supposed to have. The deer herd is plentiful but our turkey population state wide blows.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA

Offline Dmason3

« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2019, 08:34:05 PM »
Tried a new spot today with my buddy...landowner said it was full of turkeys and he wasn’t kidding. Thank God we went early we had the first 2 lanes we tried to drive down were flooded, tried another route that involved crossing a ditch that was so full it could have been a river, finally on our last ditch attempt to access had to cross a ditch and got water over the tops of my boots. Get to the spot right as daybreak was coming in, set up decoys, sit down and they immediately started gobbling!
Heard at least 8-10 and 2 of them were close. The weather has been , 20 MPH wind with rain all morning and expected to get worse so we knew it had to happen ASAP. My buddy was yelping with his diaphragm and they were answering about half the time. He switched to his woodhaven pot call and they fell in love.
As soon as they flew down they started working our way but got hung up on a creek. After about 20 minutes they couldn’t stand it and headed our way. Next thing I know a hen popped up 5 steps behind us out of nowhere. Thank goodness the 2 toms worked their way into the field and that was their last mistake. As soon as we started back to the truck the wind picked up and started spitting rain. Feels good to be on the board!

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2019, 09:48:09 PM »
Nice job Dmason3, great bird. Did you guys double up? I know you said 2 birds and hunting with your
Buddy, but did not hear if you guys got both birds.

Keep after it turkey harvester, it will come together. I have never tried strutter decoys, but seen it plenty of times on tv. We have had instances where the Toms where afraid of a hen decoy and tan away,  so you just never know. Hopefully the weather gets better for you too.

I know this, there was a shortage of 2 year old birds every where I hunted this year! Lol, love those 2 year olds.

Offline MDTOM84

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2019, 09:48:26 AM »
I got a big one this morning. Pics coming soon

Offline Dmason3

« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2019, 09:51:28 AM »
Can’t wait!

Offline MDTOM84

• The Boss Gobbler