OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Strut Stopper StoryThread  (Read 17039 times)

Offline Dmason3

Re: Strut Stopper StoryThread
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2019, 10:01:36 PM »
Congrats guys! I’m still weeks out from hunting and drooling at all the pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2019, 08:44:50 AM »
Nice job. Not saying all public land birds are harder to kill than birds on private, but most of them are.
From dealing with other hunter to pressured birds, it is a real challenge and an accomplishment.
I am looking forward to my Kansas trip to hunt some private land birds, will be my 1st time.

Anybody else started hunting yet?

where I hunt finding sign on public land is hard...hearing a gobble period, is hard....finding a bird that will gobble , and keep gobbling is very hard. basically you gonna blind a call a turkey in by having patience more often than getting on gobbling bird on public land down here. This bird gobbled in the evening one day three times....When I finally got a morning to hunt him, he didn't gobble period on the limb. He gobbled at 9 oclock on the ground to some hawks...just late enough for all the average road runners, joe blow hunters to be packing it in for the morning.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2019, 06:42:12 PM »
I'm taking 6 of my students Thursday, along with others in our school to our state welding competition. Well I gotta brag on one of my kiddos. I have a young lady who moved here from Memphis to about the most hick filled town in Missouri,lol. Young lady told me she was deaf and she read lips and wore her hearing devices. She has never welded and comes to me and wants to do a welding sculpture. She says she wants to do a European deer mount out of stainless. Lucky for her during the summer I weld at a moonshine Distillery manufacturing company. So I basically could get everything she needed. Well tomorrow is our last day to work on it and she says I don't want to polish the antlers like the skull plate. Says it will make the antlers stand out. She wanted to do something that wasn't totally exact. Took her many hours of fabrication, welding, fusion, buffing and polishing. I'm super proud of her. First time in my 17 of education have I had a student want to even do it. Hope to take her to nationals this summer in Kentucky.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 10:23:12 AM by turkey harvester »
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
 Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2019, 05:16:53 AM »
Props to you as a teacher, very tough job.
And tell her congrats and nice job.
I could not see the pics, I will try again later from a computer.

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2019, 10:41:26 AM »
Trying to do it from my phone sucks.

Offline birdman67

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2019, 09:12:56 PM »
Awesome job by her! That takes time and dedication to complete a job like that.

Loving God's Creation!

Offline birdman67

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2019, 09:19:57 PM »
Got number 2 this morning. He was a good ways from me but started gobbling early. I closed the distance and setup below him in a little field. It was one of those perfect hunts. I gave them just enough to get them curious and waited for the show. Two longbeards came down the hill in a line. They got to 20 yards and began to search for me. I let them entertain me for a few minutes before i got the strutter.
8 5/8 beard, 15/16 spurs, 19 lbs. 3 oz.
Not quite an upgrade. Got one more left to get.
Loving God's Creation!

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2019, 12:36:10 PM »
Congrats!! Hopefully after I get home from this school trip I get to take my nephew on Sunday if he hasn't scored.

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2019, 08:02:04 PM »
Nice job guys. Keep after it.
I have 1 more chance in Florida in about a week. And then backwater and I will be
Heading to Kansas at the end of the month to give it a go.

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2019, 02:07:28 PM »
It's been a heck of a week!!! Just got back from state competition and for 2 years in a row now one of my high school boys will be the only high school kiddo in the state Missouri to get to compete at the national skills USA welding competition!! I'm as  pleased as I can be. This is 4 times in 7 years! Pretty humbling experience!!
Got to hunt with the nephew. They heard 8 first day, had a spelling bee contest at 9, but gobbled great but was foggy. This morning, after only3 hours of sleep, I drive an hour and half to call for him. Not one stinking gobble all morning. We blind called, field hopped, nothing. Seen one on down the road in another piece we can hunt. Right in the middle of a large field with 5 hens. Wouldn't even look our direction so we decided to crawl behind my decoy. We were 100% sure nobody was in there cause they can't go in from any direction. Had 2 hens run up at bout 3 feet and wouldn't leave. He pealed off with other 3 and vanished out of the field. Had fun anyway.

Offline backwater

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2019, 06:29:24 PM »
Keep at it Turkey Harvester...it’s going to happen.

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2019, 05:38:00 AM »
Congrats on the welding honors, I hope the kids appreciate your time and skills .

Like Backwater said, it will happen. Birds down here where really henned up the first couple weeks
Of the season. They would gobble on the roost a few times and then Off with the hens they would go.

We are gonna get out 1 more weekend before the season is over. ( this coming weekend)

Offline valerio024

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2019, 10:55:17 PM »
We are gonna get out 1 more weekend before the season is over. ( this coming weekend)

Good luck this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2019, 06:31:08 AM »
Raining cats and dogs on one side of the state and having a blizzard in the other side. I'm sitting in the truck on the cat and dog side,lol.... oh ya morning before opener. Heard 4 at my honey hole it several others did too. My nephew put me on a spot right off a 4 lane,lol. Came in here yesterday, no gobbles, but by far the most scratching sign I've seen in years. I think the traffic noise might help muffle my sound. Apparently it don't bother them. Hoping for a better morning to maybe at least hear one here. But, who knows, wet or not he may still wanna be a blabber mouth.

Offline bornagain64

• Longbeard
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2019, 05:22:54 AM »
Lol, unfortunately if it public land your honey hole is prob several others honey hole. We deal with the same thing down here, we only have access to public land.

Just have to put the puzzle together and hope no hunter messes it up. I am done here in Florida, really looking forward to our Kansas trip. There we will be hunting private properties, so we will only have to deal with the turkeys and not other hunters. Anybody else hunting yet?