Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Strut Stopper StoryThread

Started by turkey harvester, February 07, 2019, 09:06:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bornagain64

Congrats and nice job. That is a great bird. Do you have  Anymore tags left?

John

wvhoyt19

Ok team so I let you all down this year and I ask for your forgiveness. I was asked last year to join a small hunting team and started filming our hunts. Although at times it was enjoyable, it was very time consuming and frustrating as well. It is a lot of work! Plus I'm not the kind of guy to push products and being limited to only show certain products in the videos. My biggest regret is selling some of my Brad Roberts calls. Terrible decision but life goes on. I've since stepped down from the team but still support them as they are a great group and they love getting youth involved. I'm still generating some scripture posts on FB that goes out every Sunday.

With all that being said, I hope to be asked to be a part of Strut Stoppers 2020!

Here was my season. I was blessed to take both of my sons who punched their tags within 2 days out of the same blind. My oldest son hasn't hunted in awhile but wanted to spend some time with me so I got him a black sweatshirt and stuck him in the same blind my youngest son harvested from the day before. Then, I harvested a 2 yr old on a different farm on Good Friday. I didn't have a scale and was too concentrated on getting the right pics and footage for the hunting show and failed to get the pics and measurements for this team.

Last but not least my buddy came in from PA and harvested a bird on his 2nd day here.

I was truly blessed this year and it will be a season I will never forget!!

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bornagain64

I know what it is like to get busy: work, family, church.... You keep thinking you will get to it and before you know a large amount of time has passes by.
Its all good and I for one would like to have you back on the team.

Nice job on helping others get some birds. I know for me, it feels just has good to help someone else as it does to be the shooter. Those smiles really say it all.

John

turkey harvester

Man it happens. First time for me too. We would enjoy having you back in the team next spring. Looks like a successful season to me
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

wvhoyt19

Thanks guys!

MDTOM84

I have a upgrade, I finally got the bird on my farm to mess up.  :jackson:

MDTOM84

So I have been hunting this bird for the last 3 weeks and he always seems to be a step ahead of me. I had a really good idea of where he was roosting and this morning I got on the ridge early and set down on a tree that over looked a bunch of beech trees and was nice and clear. About the time I thought he should be gobbling I hit the owl call and he gobbled but I couldn't pin point how close he was. So I tried the owl call again and I could now tell he was only 50-60 yards away!!  He gobbled about 10 more times and I kept telling myself that there's a really good chance he is going to fly down and land right in the opening in front of me. Well sure enough he flew down and landed 15 yards in front of me but behind 3-4 big beech trees. It took him about 15 seconds to walk from behind the trees and then he got a face full of Federal HW#7s from my 11-87 20ga!!! This is my 2nd biggest bird I have ever killed and to kill a bird of this caliber on my own farm makes it even better!!

Dmason3

That's a stud. Congrats. I'm jealous of everyone that's still hunting!

wvhoyt19

Congrats!!

bornagain64

So I guess he does not get a name?

I am always afraid when I get that close to where they roost.

You Killed that bird with woodsman ship skills, No fancy calls, no fancy decoy... That is how you kill an old bird, nice job.

I 2nd what Dmason3 said, a little jealous.

Jroddc

MDTOM84

Quote from: bornagain64 on May 19, 2019, 02:24:32 PM
So I guess he does not get a name?

I am always afraid when I get that close to where they roost.

You Killed that bird with woodsman ship skills, No fancy calls, no fancy decoy... That is how you kill an old bird, nice job.

I 2nd what Dmason3 said, a little jealous.
this bird was smart, 2 different times I had him at 50 yards and he would not come any closer. I knew the only way to kill him was to be at the right time and right place.

turkey harvester

Way to stick it out. Goodness that bird has got some hooks!! Congrats!!
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA

birdman67

Way to go! That is a great bird!
Loving God's Creation!

dzsmith

had a great early season! limited out in my home state. killed in louisianna on my second day on public land. and I killed on my second day in Oklahoma. had a mexico trip booked for a goulds, unfortunately even though I booked the hunt a year in advance I did not find out my travel arrangements until 4 days before the hunt and had to drive to south mexico.....Things got worse from there. I broke down 4 hours into mexico right after filling up with gas. My fuel pump went out in my truck and 2 guys stopped and helped me replace it on the side of the highway.....total disaster. having no phone service and not knowning whether or not I could finish the trip I borrowed a phone and canceled the hunt. I drove all night to get back across the border...knowning at least if I broke down in the U.S. that I could get a tow truck and have English speaking help. Thankful to get out alive and well. I went to Oregon the second week of may, and there was already poults hatched on the properties I hunted on public land. Spent 5 days there and never heard a single gobbler. walked 30 or more miles on public land there. the only gobbler I saw were on private and they were in large groups indicating to me that there season had pretty much passed by already. I went late in season hoping to avoid pressure.....that was a mistake. Im used to pressure I should have sucked it up and went early but I did get to explore some beautiful country and I saw plenty of blacktail, elk, and even one wolf. Anyway....some tough luck at the end...but I had a great early season. Good luck to those still going, and cant wait to hear from yal next year.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."