turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester SX2 barrel advice

Started by KyScott, February 18, 2019, 02:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyScott

Ok Fellas here's the deal. I took a Winchester SX2 that I recently picked up on a trade to have the receiver drilled and tapped for a rail by a Gun Smith and was told that the receiver was aluminum and was to thin to drill for a rail? I don't want to use a saddle or mount something to the vent rib. So that leads me to a couple questions hoping somebody here might know. Thanks ahead for any advice.

1. If I can find a rifled cantilever barrel can the riflings be removed and threads added for choke?

or

2. Is there somebody that can remove the vent rib on my barrel and add a cantilever?

CrustyRusty

Option 1 probably won't work.

Option 2 seems iffy...

Or...you can drill and tap the rib and put a small rail on it,  or...get a rib rider or the most expensive option is the new Aimpoint made for a shotgun rib

https://www.aimpointhunter.com/micro-h-1-2-moa-standard-mount.html

jrinny

I had my super x2 drilled and tapped by my gunsmith. It was aluminum- I believe he went to a larger diameter hole for more strength/ contact with the threads. Before it was drilled and tapped- I ran a saddle mount on it.

KentuckyLB

KyScott

Yep I believe ill try a new Gunsmith. Thanks guys

goblr77

It can be drilled and tapped. Just be sure to secure the base mounting screws with a torque wrench to not over-tighten. I tapped a Weatherby SA-08 with an aluminum receiver myself and never had an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jmbradt3873

I agree, I drilled and tapped my maverick 88 20 gauge, it's aluminum. I ordered everything from brownells. My mossberg was drilled and tapped from factory, I just went with the same threads; #28 drill bit and an 8-40 tapered tap. Works fine for the weaver mount and the truglo red dot. It is a dedicated turkey rig so everything hot loctite and has been fine for 3 years.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

outdoorsmen

My sx2 universal hunter came drilled and tapped from the factory.  I used the aluminum scope mount base that Winchester sold and it been holding an aimpoint for about 17 years.