OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Winchester Sxp Longbeard 20 gauge  (Read 22951 times)

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Winchester Sxp Longbeard 20 gauge
« on: February 06, 2019, 04:05:26 PM »
I just purchased the little pistol grip sxp 20 gauge in moob camo,I was debating on building another 20 gauge for this spring but this one felt great and shouldered perfect....I had to get them to bring in the obsession pattern as the one I shouldered was the mobu finish.The gun will be there by the 18th or 19th of February and I will be picking the 21st or 22nd.I was 50/50 on buying a new turkey gun as I have been constantly buying or building them for years and had it narrowed down to three that I was interested in,this was always the #1 choice but was limited locally,I finally found one and can't wait to pattern it,I will be shooting lb  #6's and hevi shot #6 until I can find #7's locally.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Winchester Sxp Longbeard 20 gauge
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 09:02:57 PM »
I am going to have them order me in either 3-4 packs of the Federal heavyweight 3" 1 1/2 tss #7's in as well to test from this gun.I am now figuring out which optics I will install,I am probably going with a reflex sight I have on three others,as they have been 100% perfect and they are light,easy to mount and dial in,and they have the reticles I prefer.Then all I have to purchase is a new sling for the new gun.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 11:16:51 PM »
I got looking through my ammo,and I forgot that I had federal 3rd degree 5,6,7's I plan on testing that from this gun before I order any more ammo,I also still have 3 packs of hevi #6's and want to see how the ammo I have patterns with the new gun and briley choke it comes with,If I can get a decent "hunting" pattern at 40 yards then I may stick with something I already have in the arsenal.I watched some reviews on the 3rd degree and it was outstanding at 40 yards from an sxp,I am definitely going to be testing it out. and it is half the price as others,I also have tons of longbeard #6's if I wanted to shoot them from this gun,I am already shooting it from another 20 gauge I have.

Offline KyScott

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 12:10:26 AM »
Good deal. Be sure to post some pics up after you pattern it.

Offline Recurve

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 07:41:37 AM »
I was shooting LB #6  and Trulock .570 in my sxp  patterned very well.  My only complaint with that gun
It has a very heavy trigger pull. Gunsmith  can  take care of that. And the overall mass weight very heavy. Good luck with your build.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 02:39:49 PM »
I had them bring me in 1 pack of the federal tss #7 for me to test out of this gun and also my tc encore 20 gauge,If I think it is worth buying more,I will have them bring me more in.I may try and find a primos tight wad for it as well to have,It shoots most shells very well from what I have seen,and It throws great patterns from my rem 20 gauge compact build.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 11:34:23 AM »
Since I want to try and change it up a little from my other 20 gauges,I was reading up and thinking of putting a Simmons pro diamond on this new setup,4x32.If I do not like It I will go with the reflex sight I really like.I like a longer barrel and I like a gun that isn't light as a feather,my biggest issue with my rem 870 compact is it is almost to light and short, for myself.I am having an issue figuring out which weaver base I need for this sxp,I can't seem to find it on their chart,I picked up the base for a Winchester 1300 to see if it will fit.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 12:05:25 PM »
I have received a message,my gun should be there this Wednesday,I am planning on picking it up Thursday if the weather co operates.I also had them bring me in a box of the federal tss #7 to test out,If It patterns better than lb #6 at 40-50 yards then I will have them bring me in more boxes.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 01:32:47 PM »
If weather permits,I am taking this gun out this coming weekend and getting a few rounds through it.I am sticking with a reflex sight,I really like the ones I used last spring and they are light and hold up very well to 12 gauge 3.5" long beards.I would pick it up on Wednesday except we are getting a severe winter storm and we are getting 45-50 cm of snow starting tomorrow,I am hoping it is blown over by Thursday,if not I will not be able to go get gun until weekend.

Offline Buckrub

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 04:41:01 PM »
HBK,  I'll be interested in how you gun shoots. I just shot mine this past weekend and was less then enthused with the Briley choke designed for it. I shot lbxr #6 & #5 @ 30yds. Patterns not that tight and Briley said the choke constriction is .540 which is REALLY tite imho. I think it was blowing-out the patterns !!! I ordered an ICBDS @ .555 to give a try with the lbxr's.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 07:27:13 PM »
I thought it was a .570?I will shoot it with a handful of different shells,If I am not happy with any of the shells at 40 yards,then I will do some research and pick up another choke to test out.

Offline Pinhoti

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 10:58:24 AM »
HBK,  I'll be interested in how you gun shoots. I just shot mine this past weekend and was less then enthused with the Briley choke designed for it. I shot lbxr #6 & #5 @ 30yds. Patterns not that tight and Briley said the choke constriction is .540 which is REALLY tite imho. I think it was blowing-out the patterns !!! I ordered an ICBDS @ .555 to give a try with the lbxr's.

I just got this gun as well and I ordered an Indian Creek .555. I plan on shooting handloaded TSS 9. I will be interested to see how your gun shoots.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 01:03:02 PM »
the reflex sight just arrived,I have everything ready to mount on the gun this Thursday,as long as weather permits.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 07:51:58 AM »
I am heading down to pick the gun up and get some breakfast,I am glad the weather has passed and the clean up almost over,after 35 cm of snow and blistering winds for 36 hours.

Offline RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 11:38:05 AM »
The gun is home and I am super happy with it.I will post some pics up later today.I can't wait to fling a few shells.