turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 yard pattern

Started by SteveF, January 18, 2023, 11:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveF

I have searched the sight looking for a thread showing the 20 yard patterns of different chokes (specifically 20 gauge TSS).  I'm trying to decide on a constriction, and all the testing I see is at 40 yards.  Obviously, that is helpful with choosing a choke based on that criteria, however, how does that translate to say 15-20 yards?  What is the differnce of say a 562 IC and 570 IC at 20 yards?  When choosing a nice tight pattern at 40, is the pattern at 20 yards half or is it a matter of an inch?

Hope this makes sense what I'm asking.

Thanks,
Steve

Glades

It depends on you gun/shell/choke. But more than likely you will not see much difference at 20 between different turkey chokes.

SteveF

Glades,

I realize that my gun, choke and pattern very well may be different, however, I am looking for some general ideas.

Does a great pattern at 40 make for a baseball pattern at 20 and does a more open choke with a good pattern provide a volleyball group at 20?  Or is the more open pattern at 40 still a baseball at 20?

SteveF

I also shouldn't even said IC as I am actually leaning towards a Sumtoy.  However, I'm assuming the general question applies to all varying constrictions.

Turkeyfever

Go 575 or 585 and don't look back. Those constrictions give a good even hunting pattern and are more forgiving.  I use a Carlson 575 non ported turkey in several guns and its worked like a charm. I use a 585 choke that came with a Retay turkey gun and it's very nice. I don't have pictures but I do shoot at 20 , 30 and 40. I like the more open chokes , they give great hunting patterns.

twyatt

I spend as much time at 20 yards as I do at 40, since more often than not, the birds I shoot are around 20 yards.  I've tried everything from 555, 565, 575, 585, and 600.  There isn't a HUGE difference, but there is some.  Personally, I wouldn't shoot anything tighter than a .585 even with a red dot.   You can see how tight the 20 patterns are, which leave VERY little wiggle room.  All shots were with Apex 9's.

Here's a 870 20ga with 585 at 20yds

And here's a Franchi Affinity Turkey with a .600 at 20 and 40

SteveF

That is a very good comparison for sure.  Still looks like it holds up pretty well at 40.

Thank you for that information.

Ranman

I would shoot the full and/or modified choke that comes with your gun and then decide if you need a different choke. Like twyatt, I have found that tss shoots well in a more open choke, even out to 40 yards. With a Holosun sight, you should be good at close range with whatever you decide. Good luck and post up some pics of your results..
Randy

3bailey3

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Matt76cmich

This is a Code Black Turkey at 20 yards. Definitely could be a little more open, but worked for me.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Jordan121787

Got a good lead load today
20 yds
Sumtoy .580
Federal Grand slam #5s

randywallace

Most any gun with any shell will shoot a basketball or less pattern at the 15-20 yard range.  I have a 20 gauge single shot rabbit gun with a fixed modified choke that puts most pellets in a 10 inch at 20.  That is why most pics you see are from the 40 yard range.