Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Tagged out...not an upgrade

Started by trkehunr93, May 16, 2019, 09:49:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trkehunr93

Filled my last tag at 8:05 this morning.  Nice two year old but not an upgrade.  Killed him with the shotgun my hunting partner gifted me this past March, it was nice to call him to let him know.  He said it just picked up where it left off.  I listened to him gobble off and on since 6am with the hopes he would cross a road and come my way but he wouldn't budge.  I eased along a field below him but could tell he was on the ridge above it still so I made the move and drove down to where I could sneak above him.  I was almost where I wanted to set up when he gobbled right below me at maybe 50 yards.  I snuck over to a white oak and called twice on my slate and put the call down, a few minutes later I caught movement about 25-30 yards in front of me and when he went behind a tree I got my gun up.  I still wasn't sure it was a gobbler until he went into strut, he went behind another tree and I was able to move to the right and once he cleared a small sapling the Winchester barked when he was about 25 yards away.  Shot him with the Apex 2 3/4" 8's, he flopped a little bit not much.  Now I can sleep in! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

Awesome Jim!  Glad you got to put the special gun to work, I know that added a little extra to the hunt. Congratulations!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

USMC0331

Nice

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dr Juice

Rzrbac

Bowguy

dirt road ninja

Congrats, now for the rest of the year.

Twowithone

Way to go tagging out good deal. :icon_thumright:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.