OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Newbie outfitting question

Started by Dixiearcher, February 05, 2019, 11:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dixiearcher

I will get to turkey hunt this season for the first time in about a decade, and I didn't much before then. I have a bow and a pop up blind but not much else. Not looking to break the bank just yet, but what are the must haves for me to start collecting for this year? What call, decoy, etc.? Thanks

SD_smith

Get a slate call from a company like Primos, Knight & Hale, or any other bigger companies. Slate is easy to use and condition. Great calls to run in any scenario. Most on here will tell you to go buy a custom call from a small call maker, but I'd wait until you know exactly what you want because there are a plethora of choices when you dive into that money pit.

As for decoys most of the ones they are coming out with today all look great. Some prefer the high dollar DSD's and others go with the cheaper Primos or Bass Pro brand. I use Avian-x which are about like the upper-middle class of the decoy range, but not as high as the DSD. I have a Jake and a couple of hens that I use whenever I feel like a bird I roosted will put on a show the next morning. Other than that I'm usually a mobile guy.

Any pop-up blind should work. Ameristep has some good ones for a decent price. If I ever get another one then I'll probably spend the money on a big double bull blind with the big sleeve windows. I used a buddies last year hunting antelope and it was great.

Hope that answers some of your questions. Feel free to shoot me a pm if you have anymore.

Bowguy

Couple of things to think about. I guess you've got to see how much money you've got available to stay relatively within your means. Here's where I differ from the previous post but the info given above  was valid. This is just food for thought. I def do not think a primos call or something like that is what you want. Not saying they can't work but normally not as well nor as easily. If you want slate or even glass a company that's not too bad is Cody. The only non custom call I still have is a Cody.
On rainy days, humid days or even if morning dew were to fall on surface it could render most calls useless. I'd say you surely need at least a couple. If you want one impervious to weather, Enticer Silver thunder extreme can be run directly under a running faucet n still work. It too isn't too bad price wise.
For a blind if you use one, I'm not sure how tall you are or how long bow is but you need clearance so think about that. AN ameristep doghouse is real easy to set up and if you're doing so the morning of it's a great blind. I used it this fall more than once w a 62" longbow but I felt tight and had to be careful.  Consider these. A double bull is great but they're noisy to set up and heavy. Not a great option when trying to set up near roosted birds or carrying up a mtn in dark.
Decoys are very subjective. To me DSD are the best. Avian look great too but I hate the fact they blow up. Look at a bunch cause either one could actually break the bank here. They're both expensive.
You'd be best w a locator or two. Owl and crow are great. Owl for real early locating if needed or roosting. Here's the tough part. The roll or laugh is what sets em off most often. It takes practice and many calls can't do it. Harrison hootin stick can but again you need practice. You tube him running one. The synthetic style is cheap and works fine. Crow calls as long as it's loud.
Regarding practicing and calls it wouldn't hurt if you knew how to use a mouth call cause it'd be hard to use a bow and at the same time work a call. A mouth call would be key and it's cheap. I also want to say regarding calls initially a box call may be easiest to use. In a blind you have options too. A bread bag over the call can protect it from rain and the call can be run in the bag w no change in sound. The advantage here may be you can get the one box and perhaps a mouth call or so forgetting the pots. A box is easier to learn as well.
Hope the info here isn't overwhelming

Gobble!

In your shoes I'd be a Walmart shopper.

Get a Primos pot call, my Walmart always seems to stock Primos. It sounds like their new Foggy Bottom glass pot for $25 is a good value. If your feeling froggy maybe pick up a couple mouth calls to try. Never bad to have a box call but mine sees very little action. In your shoes I get the pot call first and learn how to use it then your set.

If your going to be bow hunting I'd get a couple decoys. It's all personal preference there. Some mentioned DSDs but you said without breaking the bank so ignore those recommendations. You could get Walmart brand or spring for some of the name brand stuff at Walmart. They get expensive fast and I'd bet more turkeys are killed over Primos decoys than any other every year.

appalachianstruttstopper

Quote from: Gobble! on February 06, 2019, 09:22:26 PM
In your shoes I'd be a Walmart shopper.

Get a Primos pot call, my Walmart always seems to stock Primos. It sounds like their new Foggy Bottom glass pot for $25 is a good value. If your feeling froggy maybe pick up a couple mouth calls to try. Never bad to have a box call but mine sees very little action. In your shoes I get the pot call first and learn how to use it then your set.

If your going to be bow hunting I'd get a couple decoys. It's all personal preference there. Some mentioned DSDs but you said without breaking the bank so ignore those recommendations. You could get Walmart brand or spring for some of the name brand stuff at Walmart. They get expensive fast and I'd bet more turkeys are killed over Primos decoys than any other every year.

Primos puts out some of the best production calls on the market imo. Not sure about the newer stuff, but a heart breaker box, box cutter, old glory frictionite pot, ole Betsy slate call are to name a few of the best calls I've ever had. Might hafta hit up ebay to find some of the old primos stuff.

Dixiearcher