turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What do you consider a good pattern?

Started by valerio024, February 05, 2019, 06:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valerio024

I'm thinking specifically of a lead load at 40 yards. How many pellets of 5 or 6's do you look for in a 10" circle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaLongbeard

Things have changed drastically in the last few years. With today's chokes and shells including lead, I'd probably not hunt with anything less than 100 or so in the 10".
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

nyhunter

what LaLongbeard said,   you should have no problem getting 150+- in a 10" circle at 40yds. 

Yoder409

One where there is NO place to put a turkey's head without it being hit with multiple pellets at the distance you intend to shoot.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Deputy 14

100ish in the 10 is kind of the standard minimum.

EZ

One that will be a guaranteed kill at 40, but not so tight to miss at 20.

Gobble!

100 is a minimum in the 10". I look more for a even 10" and 20".

albrubacker

Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 05, 2019, 07:07:15 PM
Things have changed drastically in the last few years. With today's chokes and shells including lead, I'd probably not hunt with anything less than 100 or so in the 10".
X2!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

owlhoot

Quote from: albrubacker on February 06, 2019, 07:48:50 PM
Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 05, 2019, 07:07:15 PM
X2!
X3 agreed

gobblers roost

150 up

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jcfd142

Opinions will vary. I prefer to not worry about the 10" and like an even 20" pattern at 40. Cuz I dont like shooting a "Rifle" at 30 and closer. My current load and choke average 250 in 20" at 40 and has hammered every bird I have shot out to 50.

mightyjoeyoung

About as perfect a lead pattern as I've ever gotten...  150ish in the 10" and a beautifully even 20"...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

BINK McCARTY

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 02, 2019, 06:25:55 PM
About as perfect a lead pattern as I've ever gotten...  150ish in the 10" and a beautifully even 20"...

What choke did you use on this pattern?

mightyjoeyoung

Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

surehuntsalot

100-120 in the 10 is plenty
been shooting turkeys for 45 years, the birds have not changed one bit
they don't have armor plating
it's not the harvest,it's the chase