OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Any one hunted Wisconsin?  (Read 2339 times)

Offline longbeards

Any one hunted Wisconsin?
« on: February 04, 2019, 06:53:36 PM »
 :newmascot: Planning on putting in for the last week of Wisconsin season. Any one out there have any suggestions on areas to apply for? Have never been there so I am going blind with shotgun in hand!!

Thanks
longbeards

Offline ddturkeyhunter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Re: Any one hunted Wisconsin?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 10:07:15 AM »
Not sure what Week May7th-13 would be but thats when I have goon out there the past two years. The problem I ran into out there was not only turkey hunters but also mushroom hunters. This was public land, and you had entire famalys of kids running and yelling and dogs. But you might be ok the last season. So can't say bigger section of land are better then small one, mushroom hunters try picking the big mature woods if that helps you any. And I wash my cloth with a pre tick treatment, I advise you do that for WI. The mushroom hunter I had lunch with in the parking lot was crawling with ticks and I had none. Good luck

Offline Divenut2

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 11:17:17 AM »
I have had great luck up in Door County. There's been a lot of birds running around up there the last 5 years or so. However,  I am curious to see if the recent -15 to -22F "Polar Vortex" followed by heavy snow has a negative impact on the bird population. But they are pretty resilient creatures so I'm hoping for the best! I'll be up there pulling down my tree stands and doing some work on the cabin this weekend. If all is well, I will see birds/tracks everywhere.

Bagged these two last season at first light season.

And a BIG  X2 on ddturkeyhunter's recommendation on Tick treatment! They have been thick up there for sure.

Be well,
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 11:30:06 AM by Divenut2 »
Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

Offline Harty

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 12:52:22 PM »
If you’re applying for left over permits you will pretty much be hunting western wisconsin where they have more permits. The 2019 turkey permit drawing has taken place so if you don’t have one in hand that is what you will be doing. Plenty of public land. Will need just walk in a ways to get away from the maddening crowd. Private land owners are pretty good about giving permission,especially those that farm. Polar vortex and snow was followed my two days of temps in the 40s so things are good.

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 01:30:44 PM »
I have a bunch of land I can hunt in Wisconsin,but all I ever could get is one of the very last seasons know matter how many preference points I had so I gave up on the state.
I hunted it a couple years in a row and they seemed pretty shut down by the time i was able to hunt.
I enjoy a challenge,but can just take someone with me in my home state towards the end of turkey season for the challenge and save a bunch of money.
X3 on the Ticks...Deer ticks galore....

Offline longbeards

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 04:21:11 PM »
Thanks guys!!

Am applying for left over tag..

Offline Harty

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 07:53:20 PM »
Thanks guys!!

Am applying for left over tag..

Hope you get a left over tag and good luck if you do!

Offline model94

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 11:44:25 PM »
You will have no problem getting tags in zone 3. Lots of public land in that area. Good luck!!

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 09:03:30 AM »
I'll be putting in this December for next spring in Zone 2 as I have an invite to come hunt deer on private property and want to use turkey season to scout and learn the properties he says they have a bunch of turkeys so hopefully I can check another state off
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline SemoRiverRat

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 09:43:24 AM »
No but it’s on my short list.

Offline Hersh

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 09:57:19 AM »
I have hunted Wisconsin several times in the last 5 years. Great hunting both on public and private. Was really shocked at how easy it is to get permission to hunt private land.  Farmers are often willing to let u hunt.  Public was good as well. Hunted the central part of the state. Look for the private land that available for public hunting as well. 

Offline wisconsinteacher

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Barron Co. WI
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 01:15:51 PM »
One piece of advice is to have your WI DNR Customer Number before you try buying your left over tag.  Just call the DNR headquarters before and get your number. 

Offline longbeards

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 03:44:26 PM »
Just a note of thanks for all the help!
Will be applying for left over tags next Monday!!

Offline Spurs

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 09:01:05 AM »
Hunted there four seasons.  I work construction, so I haven't been able to make it back for a couple of seasons.  I will go back every year that I can.  Great turkey hunting, nice people, and relatively cheap.

The draw is only for a "guaranteed" tag and if memory serves, it is already completed.  As you can imagine, some areas tend to run out of the quota tags quickly, but the remainder is first come first serve.  That means, you can buy as many as you want.  For an OOS, they are only $15.  I would always buy 3 for one hunt period (Wed-Thurs).  Also, if this is your first time buying a hunting license in WI, ask about their discount for a first time buyer.  It used to be a 50% discount.

As far as the tags are concerned, check out this link for leftover tags for the area/time that you want to hunt:

https://dnr.wi.gov/permits/springturkey.html
This year is going to suck!!!

Offline longbeards

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 07:13:08 AM »
Thanks for the information!! Purchased license on Monday, extra tags this Saturday!!

ZONE 1.....If anyone has suggestions on zone 1 I would appricate it!! thanks again,,longbeards