OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
DC Cattle Ranch

Author Topic: which is more important ? calling ability or turkey knowledge  (Read 8320 times)

Offline Tom007

• 2022 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “ Push-Pin Tom”
Re: which is more important ? calling ability or turkey knowledge
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2022, 02:16:43 PM »
IMO, I think calling ability is realistically around 10%. I put 80% into Woodsman-ship (ie: Set-up, terrain knowledge, knowing where the birds are in their comfort zones, equipment readiness and patience). The last 10% I believe is his willingness to make that “fatal mistake” and commit. We all have the calling ability, it’s the 80% Woodsman-ship that I concentrate on that brings me my success. The last 10% I mentioned is not totally under our control, thus a bit of timing and luck helps here….be well
Tombo

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2022, 08:40:14 AM »
IMO, I think calling ability is realistically around 10%. I put 80% into Woodsman-ship (ie: Set-up, terrain knowledge.
I tend to agree with this.   But I think the issue is that calling is about 90% of the fun.   I honestly think I could kill just as many turkeys without a call, but it wouldn’t be near as much fun, at least for me   And some people, well they like to have fun all the time which can make killing turkeys a little harder to do at times.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline GobbleNut

• Limbhanger
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2022, 06:55:47 PM »
IMO, I think calling ability is realistically around 10%. I put 80% into Woodsman-ship (ie: Set-up, terrain knowledge.
I tend to agree with this.   But I think the issue is that calling is about 90% of the fun.   I honestly think I could kill just as many turkeys without a call, but it wouldn’t be near as much fun, at least for me   And some people, well they like to have fun all the time which can make killing turkeys a little harder to do at times.   

:D  As usual, succinctly stated and right on target.  As blasphemous as it is to admit it here on the premier turkey hunting forum, take away the calling part and turkey hunting would lose a lot of its appeal to this particular fellow.      :o
...Now, let the backlash and bashing begin....   ;D :angel9: :newmascot:

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2022, 07:26:16 PM »
I’m going to have to look up the meaning of a couple words before I decide wether to agree with you or bash you.   But I’m good either way :D
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline Tom007

• 2022 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “ Push-Pin Tom”
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2022, 07:03:01 AM »

Amen, without calling, I don’t think I would have the Wild Turkey “obsession”. Tricking them with the right call is really what it’s all about for me…..
Tombo