OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: broadheads for turkeys  (Read 2292 times)

Offline acesand8s

broadheads for turkeys
« on: February 01, 2019, 12:05:09 AM »
I was going to try and hunt some turkeys this year with my bow.  I usually use schwackers for deer hunting.  I'm wondering what everyone else is using and if, I might should switch it up. 

Offline Caspar

Re: broadheads for turkeys
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 12:51:24 AM »
whatever you use for deer will work fine for turkey. your swhackers will be perfect for turkey.  if i decide to take my new crossbow turkey hunting this year ill be using swhackers

Online captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 06:48:27 AM »
The few birds I have taken with a bow I used a big cut expandable....your Swackers will work fine. Make sure you look at a digaram of a Turkey's vitals. They are small and not really where you think they are.
Good luck with your adventure and Welcome to the forum!!

Offline CAPTJJ

• Rod Bender Charters
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 08:07:55 AM »
For turkeys, I suggest a large mechanical with 3 blades, not 2, want it to cut on different planes. When I used a compound the Rocket Hammerhead with 2" cut always worked great and they are pretty inexpensive. With a recurve I have been using a 150 Snuffer, 3 fixed blades that are almost 1.5" diameter and with long, sweeping blades they do a lot of damage. Of course shot placement is key with bowhunting turkeys.

Offline Donnie Peterson

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 02:35:17 PM »
I agree with CAPTJJ.  I have taken turkeys with ShockWave, Shwackers, both 2 & 3 blade Rage, HyperShock with 1.99" & 2-3/4" blades, Grave Digger hybrids, Grim Reaper Carni-Fours and HellRazors.
I used to believe Shwackers and the similar opening HyperShock were an excellent choice until I nearly lost a big gobbler shot through the thoracic cavity with a 2" Shwacker.  The gobbler was perfectly broadside at the time of the shot and the broadhead was at least half way through the bird BEFORE the blades began to open.  Based on my experiences, I would encourage you to use a large 3 or 4 blade broadhead that is fully open before it penetrates the bird.  Fixed blade or expandable, your choice.
Grim Reaper Carni-Fours worked great for me last seaon.  My hunting partner had equally good results with Grim Reaper Whitetail Specials.
I am not trying to be argumentative, but Shwackers would not be my first choice for turkeys.
Keep 'em gobblin!

Offline raywa

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 02:44:16 PM »
We use NAP spitfires with good success.

Offline SD_smith

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 02:57:37 PM »
I use Montecs fixed blades for deer and turkey. You can get into those big mechanicals, but I’m pretty dead on with a Montec so I don’t see a need to change. It’s more about shot placement than anything else in my opinion. The nice thing about the big 3 blade mechanicals is that they could potentially turn a bad shot into a lethal shot. A small fixed blade usually needs to be on the money to recover the bird easily.

Offline kyturkeyhunter4

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 03:58:40 PM »
I use the Magnus Bullheads they have a huge cuting diameter and there a awesome head for head shots on the turkey

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 06:19:13 PM »
For turkeys, I suggest a large mechanical with 3 blades, not 2, want it to cut on different planes. When I used a compound the Rocket Hammerhead with 2" cut always worked great and they are pretty inexpensive. With a recurve I have been using a 150 Snuffer, 3 fixed blades that are almost 1.5" diameter and with long, sweeping blades they do a lot of damage. Of course shot placement is key with bowhunting turkeys.
This...the new head from Swat would be a good one. 4 blade over the top like the old Rocket Sidewinder but it won't be out till April 1st. So I'm trying out NAP Spitfire Doublecross. Rage 3 blades have worked well too. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline BennieGobbler

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 09:57:51 AM »
Shuttle T-Locs have always worked on deer and every turkey I have shot in the fall with them.
Print by Madison, on Flickr

Offline alex_sebh

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2023, 02:00:08 PM »
I've always used the Grim Reaper whitetail special on turkeys, but I'd love to use a guillotine broadhead. There's a couple I'd like to try out at https://southeasternbowhunting.com/best-turkey-broadheads/. The Magnus is probably my top choice. Has anyone used one?

Offline jwhunter

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2023, 02:20:12 PM »
any BH you use for deer will work. study where their vitals are. high shots are no good. I have killed several with an old bear razorhead and a longbow.

Offline Hook hanger

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2023, 03:28:07 PM »
They can be killed with any broadheads its all in shot placement. The big expandables would be what I would chose now.

Offline Moore

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2023, 06:06:03 PM »
I have used nap gobbler getter, they worked fine but if I decide to archery hunt again I will use my Magnus blackhornets.
[

Offline Magdump

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2023, 06:47:22 PM »
If you are going to take head shots, the Magnus Bullhead.

If you are going to take body shots, the Rage X-Treme Turkey broadhead. 

But much more important than what broadhead you use for body shots is where you aim for and where you hit.  There are a number of fantastic videos on the inter web that cover shot placement.  A few hours spent watching and re-watching these videos is time very well spent.  Equally as important as the time you spend shooting your bow so you can reliably hit where you are aiming!

Good luck and let us know how it goes this Spring!