OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How does velocity affect shot?  (Read 4057 times)

Offline SD_smith

How does velocity affect shot?
« on: January 31, 2019, 11:15:50 PM »
I usually shoot longbeard 3” #6. I now have a new gun and trying to learn about all that makes each kid different. Let’s say you are shooting 3 1/2” #5 for this one.

2 oz. at 1200 velocity
2 1/8 oz. at 1050
2 1/4 oz. at 1150
2 oz. at 1300

What would be your predictions. I know each can pattern different depending on choke and gun combo. Im just wondering why the difference from the same brand (Winchester) on the same length and shot size.

Offline BandedSpur

Re: How does velocity affect shot?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 07:52:18 AM »
Too many variables to predict, e.g. barrel length, choke, powder, quality of shot, buffer, wad design, etc.

Only absolutes:
1) the faster a pellet is launched, the more energy the pellet has
2) the heavier the payload, all else being equal, the harder the gun kicks
3) the faster the load, all else being equal, the harder the gun kicks

In general:
1) With payload constant: less speed = higher pattern %
2) With speed constant: less shot = higher pattern %

Start changing two variables at once...all bets are off.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 08:31:41 AM by BandedSpur »

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 01:53:15 AM »
The different offerings from the same manufacturer is a matter of marketing. The more new, improved advanced technology loads they have available, the easier it is for them to make more money and separate more consumers from their hard earned cash.  You have to consider back when turkey loads were first designed they were a solution without a problem. As turkey hunting became more popular especially with the Spring seasons and the restoration efforts, shotshell manufacturers saw this as an opportunity to make more money by creating special shells for them.  There wasn't an outcry from hunters for harder hitting loads or heavier payloads. They were killing them just fine (many still are) with  good trap loads in 7.5, or Hi Brass 4, 5, 6, 7.5 and fixed chokes (whatever they had left over from fall bird/small game seasons).   

Good advice in the previous post.  One thing to consider on velocity, the faster you launch a pellet the faster it slows down.  At the muzzle, a difference of 150 fps may look significant on paper. In reality at the distance that turkeys are shot, the difference will be rather insignificant, again that faster launched pellet loses its speed faster as well. 

Offline outdoorsmen

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 09:13:31 AM »
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned then effect of supersonic to subsonic transition.
Personally I struggle with what I want, faster harder hitting or more slower pellets.  I'm kinda glad my stockpile of hevi13 only came one way.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 11:28:30 AM »
You’ve not even mentioned the choke. That’d matter as well