OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Weekend Winter Scouting.  (Read 2115 times)

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
Weekend Winter Scouting.
« on: January 28, 2019, 03:08:14 PM »
You can learn much more about a few areas in mind for Spring by going out on both Weekend days for a good Hike. Woodsmanship takes alot of time to Master. The more you hike on AND off Trails-- the better. If you hunt Pu LIC Lands like, I do-- every day you hike- you will learn something more. This time of year, I like to go out at around 10am for 90 minutes or 2 hours. Go with a friend and try to figure out how the Turkeys will use a certain area that you just walked into. Keep doing that  wherever you hike and this will become second nature. When Turkey Season opens- you will be able to pick the right Tree. You might figure out from what direction that Tom may make a silent Approach. So many other things that can be picked up slowly be Hiking around the Hardwoods. Turkey Season will be here before you know it!! I start on April 22nd in New Jersey. Enjoy those hikes. Keep a Journal. Luck out there this Spring.

Offline Kylongspur88

• Longbeard
Re: Weekend Winter Scouting.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 07:17:12 PM »
I get a lot of my turkey scouting in while shed hunting in February and March.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 11:35:40 AM »
Now that deer season is done I spend whole days in my hunting areas mostly looking over terrain and marking ridges etc  that I will gobble scout in late March. Example:Back in December I found a ridge way back off a log road that had been logged recently. The only way to access is walking a long ways crossing a creek and then uphill for awhile, or walking a long closed road to get to the spot. I'm certain a gobbler will set up on the ridge it's a flat open place to strut above a large creekbottom with little access so shouldn't get pressured. You'd have to walk a mile from any direction to hear a gobbler on this ridge. I found this place after a half a day of walking. Well worth the effort. Late winter before the woods get thick and no worry about spooking birds, one of my favorite times of the year. You shoot them in Spring, but you kill them in the winter with scouting.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline PSEoutlaw07

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 06:25:07 PM »
Watched my flock 3 days this past week in 20 degree weather
I just learn a lot by just sitting and watching them. they stayed in my food plot for over 2.5 hrs and
I also got some good footage of them. Sometimes it's nice to just watch them, hunting them is different for some reason