OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hawthorn  (Read 2243 times)

Offline Robert Peak

Hawthorn
« on: January 27, 2019, 03:46:39 PM »
Getting ready to make some box's with some hawthorn that I recently cut and was wondering if any one had used it and how does it sound. What would be a good companion wood to go with it?
Robert

Offline Robert Peak

Re: Hawthorn
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 07:42:01 AM »
Well, it appears I'm going into uncharted territory, could be the "magic mix" to the perfect call.......

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 06:21:02 PM »
Might be the best box ever!! I was kind of wondering about thorny locust if anyone has used it for a call or if it’s too soft. I don’t know what a Hawthorn tree looks like but I would love to see your finished product

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 09:10:52 PM »
Would the hawthorn be the body or the soundboard or both? If its only for the box and not the soundboard then soundboard material, design, and striker makes more differences.  Then there's tuning.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline Robert Peak

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 09:23:25 AM »
I was thinking of starting out with all hawthorn and see how it sounds, then change it up with asst. strikers.

Sorry about the huge pic, this stuff grow along the creek here on my property and is nearly a wall. The wood is orange when dries with small pin knots, very unique looking stuff'