OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Does anyone read Shannon’s classified rules?  (Read 8703 times)

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: Does anyone read Shannon’s classified rules?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 09:51:02 AM »
I appreciate this thread being posted.  While I haven't put anything for sale on the site, it's not a common rule so it's good that it's out there for everyone to see. As I tell my team all the time, "reminders are great, errors are bad" 

I actually agree with the rule and it makes a lot of sense when trying to navigate the challenges of a public forum.  That being said, as someone who has a low post count, it is a bit disappointing for someone like myself who has things they'd like to sell at some point and would never dream of scamming anyone.

I strongly believe in James 1:19 so I'm not one to post unless I feel it's valuable to others or I genuinely need help.  I'm here to learn from you all who have much more experience than I do.   It may take years for me to get to the point where I could sell items-and that's quite ok.  Again, I don't necessarily disagree with the rule, it just sucks that honest people get pulled down by dishonest people.   

Just my perspective from one of the 'new guys'.  Side note, I love this board and it's now my 'first stop' forum.

Agree this forum does have more and stricter rules then most but that is why I buy/sell/trade here with more confidence then any other forum. my good and bad encounters on places like archerytalk have been almost 50/50 the last few years while here they have been closer to 95/5 in favor of positive
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2019, 10:33:54 AM »
I personally like the rules, I see way too many items being posted for sale w/out pictures (that's a rule and I've pointed it out to posters before).  Shannon runs a respectable forum and while an item sold could still go south regardless of how many posts you've made I seriously doubt someone with the intent to swindle someone is going to patiently wait to post X number of times before they do it.  Read the rules, follow the rules and all is well.  My  :z-twocents:

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2019, 03:08:53 AM »
I’m glad no one has taken anything even remotely wrong. The intent was only information.

Offline Harty

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2019, 06:24:34 AM »
The “rules “ are simply there to help protect everyone. The few swindlers always make it difficult for the majority of nice people.im a new member within the past year and  have had people PM me to help and just get to know me. There is a comfort level in doing business with someone you know or are at least acquainted with. I hope I can foster that  comfort level by continuing to post on this site

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2019, 06:53:08 AM »
I like the rules, especially #5. I know the rules are here help to protect us form scams, but there is another big benefit to them. By posting to get your count up, you are actually becoming a contributing member to forum....making it better than it already is. The more you post the more comfortable you will feel and more than likely to contribute to the forum. I am more a "lurker" myself...I tend to post when I have something to contribute that hasn't already been said.

Also to all the new people...Welcome to the forum.

Offline KentuckyLB

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2019, 11:45:25 AM »
 :popcorn:

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2019, 12:18:32 PM »
no, i don't think so....

Offline raven105

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2019, 05:55:36 PM »
I would attribute some of this to guys that primarily use tapatalk. When I first got the app, I subscribed to a few classified forums and that’s it. I can’t see people’s post count in the app and rarely visit the general forum. I could see how those like me and others, who visit even less, would overlook the rules or never see them at all.

It’s good that you posted this and should probably be continuously brought up as we get closer to season when selling/trading heats up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2019, 06:21:51 PM »
I would attribute some of this to guys that primarily use tapatalk. When I first got the app, I subscribed to a few classified forums and that’s it. I can’t see people’s post count in the app and rarely visit the general forum. I could see how those like me and others, who visit even less, would overlook the rules or never see them at all.

It’s good that you posted this and should probably be continuously brought up as we get closer to season when selling/trading heats up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s actually the reason I posted it. So it gets talked about and more exposure. I bet lots guys prob aren’t disregarding the rules on purpose but aren’t aware. Still they’re great rules and they protect new folks too.
If they try to trade or buy something I’m sure they don’t want to get beat themselves. The count isn’t impossibly high either.
I’ll keep pushing it up if it gets too far down so it’s noticed

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2019, 07:31:47 PM »
The way I look at it...………..the rules is the rules.  They were put there by the man who runs the show.  His site...…….his rules.  They were also put there for good reasons.  Like 'em or not...…………..look at the good trade feedback on this site versus the scammer list.  PAGES of good folks doing good and honest deals !!!!!!  Only a couple of turds have been in the OG punchbowl.  The rules WORK.

You're not gonna find another place like it !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline zsully

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2019, 09:20:44 PM »
I agree that the rules are the rules but I see the frustration from the new guys as well. I’ve been coming to the forum for years and I definitely read way more then I post. I just checked my stats. This is my 94th post and I average 0.091 posts per day. My name is in the positive seller/buyer feedback. I think 100 posts is a big ask but I love the site and if that’s where I have to get to be able to fully participate I will get there. Unfortunately lately it seems like causing drama could become a tool to elevate post numbers quickly which I know is not the intent.

Offline Jrkimbrough

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2019, 05:42:52 AM »
 :wave:  i read them!  Lol

I’m fairly new to the forum and have thought about posting something in the classifieds but haven’t yet because of the rules.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2019, 07:41:08 AM »
I agree that the rules are the rules but I see the frustration from the new guys as well. I’ve been coming to the forum for years and I definitely read way more then I post. I just checked my stats. This is my 94th post and I average 0.091 posts per day. My name is in the positive seller/buyer feedback. I think 100 posts is a big ask but I love the site and if that’s where I have to get to be able to fully participate I will get there. Unfortunately lately it seems like causing drama could become a tool to elevate post numbers quickly which I know is not the intent.

Idk it mentions quality posts. In some places that’s even in bold print. Is causing drama quality?

Offline zsully

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2019, 08:18:07 AM »

Idk it mentions quality posts. In some places that’s even in bold print. Is causing drama quality?

Bowguy, I agree with you that drama related posts aren’t quality. However, I don’t see anyway to to differentiate between which of my posts are “quality” and which aren’t and who makes that determination? Seems like a giant nightmare for someone to have to read every post and match it to the user name and confirm “quality”. 

Offline dayna105

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2019, 10:05:23 AM »
The way I look at it...………..the rules is the rules.  They were put there by the man who runs the show.  His site...…….his rules.  They were also put there for good reasons.  Like 'em or not...…………..look at the good trade feedback on this site versus the scammer list.  PAGES of good folks doing good and honest deals !!!!!!  Only a couple of turds have been in the OG punchbowl.  The rules WORK.

You're not gonna find another place like it !!!

Agree with you 100%. I also think that a person's join date should be considered. But like you wrote the rules were put there by the man that runs the show. Also agree this is a great site to visit, for learning and new ways to spend cash...lol