OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20 gauge 870 question

Started by WW, January 21, 2019, 02:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WW

I'm getting a 20 gauge to turkey hunt with. For the guys that have them, do you like the regular 870 express or should I get the compact 870 express. I know the youth model will have too short of a stock for me, but not sure about the compact model. What do you 870 guys like best?

Ridge Rooster

I am 6'1" and prefer the youth stock. It is nearly the same length of pull as my rifles so it fits me fine. I would say for wing shooting it would be a little on the short side but for turkey hunting where swing and follow through are not as critical I think the youth stock is perfect. JMO

HeavyBarrel
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

haystaddle

The youth model is the only one that has the 21" barrel that is preferable to most I'd guess. There are several companies that offer adjustable stocks. I just got an adapter from Ergo grips for mine. Allows you to use any adjustable AR butt stock on the market. I'm just ordered a Mission First Tactical Minimalist stock for it. Will post pics when I get it set up.

dirt road ninja

I've got an 11-87 youth and have no problem with it and turkeys

sswv

both my 870 and 1100 20's are youth models and they work great for me.

sasquatch1

Like my youth model 21" barrel with a .555 choke and tss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Get the youth model and get you set of Remington 20 gauge Shurshot stock and forearm ..... get you Sumtoy 562.5 choke or Trulock 565 ....

LRD

I am 6'1" and have the camo compact model and love it.  It came with some shims for the stock that I put in it to make the length of pull longer.  I am shooting hand loaded #9 tss through a Carlson's 575 with an awesome pattern.  I killed 4 birds with it last year and see no reason to bring the 12 gauge out of the safe ever again.  My son has a youth model with walnut stock that I would have no trouble carrying either.  I do see several people getting the Shurshot stock as mentioned above.

Gumby

I'm 6'3" and use the youth model and love it. Fits me fine when I'm down hunkered up against a tree

daddyduke

I have the compact with 21" barrel with spacers. Great shotgun to hunt with.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Brwndg

I put an adjustable Bear Tooth recoil pad on my 11-87 compact to give me just the right fit. Easily add shims in it to get the correct LOP
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

BottomLand54

remington 870 compact buy the full camo at walmart, 20 gauge. leave stock other then....

have it drilled and tapped
install quake claw sling
get sumtoy mount and install a burris ff3
get a sumtoy 562.5
order a box of apex gt-20
3" 15/8oz 9's

sight in with cheap round at 20 yds and 40 yds.

clean barrel good.

install 1 apex shoot at 20 make sure sight is good.
install 1 more apex shoot at 40 make sure sight is good.

get a good set of dsd decoys
get a good call
learn to use em.

and go have fun the rest of your life with an awesome gun, and will shoot amazing, and you can thank me later!

AC 870

I stuck a Sims slip on recoil pad on mine to lengthen the pull a little.

tree-rat sniper

I haven't hunted the compact I just worked over but it seems to fit me well (but I'm just a little guy at 5'7).
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

Recurve

I have the youth model 21" barrel I use the spacers that came with the gun. I am shooting LB #6
With .568 Carlson's choke. Turkey killing machine.