OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Thompson Center System 1 questions  (Read 4128 times)

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
Thompson Center System 1 questions
« on: January 21, 2019, 12:38:14 PM »
I have an older T/C System 1 that has both a 50 cal and a 12g barrel with it.  Several of us got drawn for a M/L only hunt and can take a guest. Since I have 2 M/L shotguns, I think I will be invited for several hunts!  It is my son and my son in law (2 different weekends).  I will let them shoot my TK2000 as it is dialed in at 35 and in.  But I want to have my gun, so if a bird slips in from the side on me, I can still shoot (shared bag, so we have to hunt together). 

It is a percussion cap rather than a 209.  I will play around with that, I have found some of the conversion kits and they are only $45.  But this is mostly a backup, so i will start with just the caps and see how it does. I have some good loads for duck (have taken a duck with it) but none yet for turkey.

So, I have a couple questions, many of which I will answer when test firing. 
1)What choke does T/C Sys 1 take?  It is an older model and I can't find anything in the manual or on Google. I will call T/C and a choke manufacturer. Just wondered if anyone knew.  An extended will look odd on a M/L but would be nice as it must be removed to load and that would be one less thing to carry if I can do it by hand.
2) I plan on shooting with and without shot cups, but my goal is to shoot #7 heavyweight or #5 Hevi Shot (have some old shells I can rob).  I assume it would be best to use shotcups with that shot. 
3)I have an old, but very functional red dot, 4 MOA piece of junk, but it holds zero nicely and has been shot on a Benelli Nova with 3.5", so I know it will take the beating.  I can't find any rail that is made for it to know it will fit the 6mm screw pattern (already tapped).  I will try it with just the bead, but if I am not happy, would like to know where to get a mount.  Also will probably require a call to T/C.
4) Anyone actually shoot one of these and have a starting point for me? 

Thanks for any thoughts.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
Re: Thompson Center System 1 questions
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 04:02:57 PM »
I don't have your exact gun, but for muzzle loaders in general.
For question #2

in an old double barrel (soft steel) fixed choked imp. cyl. and light modified I have been using the CSD 118 steel shot wads with HVWT #7 and #6 and TSS #9's, the center core patterns with this wad are better for turkeys (and ducks) compared to traditional nitro card and fiber wad loads. Also have not had any damage to the old chokes or scouring in the barrel.

I took apart some federal HVWT shells and tried the flight control wad with HVWT #6 and #7 and TSS, with Goex blackpowder the FC wad did not consistently open. some loads went thru the patterning board like a slug, I didn't try any of the B.P. substitutes. 

These were low pressure loads, a friend had similar negative results in a cylinder. bore flintlock with the flight control wads and Goex black powder.

Offline kyhareraiser

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 11:36:09 PM »
on my Thompson Center Encore. ghev2/ guage barrel uses the same thread design as the mossberg 500 orbghe invector.  hope this helps

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 08:58:47 PM »
I actually had an old choke that fits it fine.   Got  good patterns and got some weaver bases and mounted the red dot.  Settled on 80 gr, 3” shot cup and #7 HW 1 5/8 ounce with the buffer from a cut shell to fill the cup.  I got some 12s for cheaper than I could have bought the shot.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.