OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Paddles/lids...epiphany  (Read 2521 times)

Offline ozarktroutbum

Paddles/lids...epiphany
« on: January 20, 2019, 01:52:41 PM »
I did not know how much of as "asset" a good paddle is to a box call. I have been building my own box calls for a year or two. I have not been very selective about the wood/boards I buy, however I am selective about the orientation of the grain in the boards that I do have, as I should be in order to build a decent sounding box.

I took a purpleheart lid off a old hustlin hen box of mine and have been trying it on some existing box calls I have built. It is a much denser wood than I'm used to, and it's a very straight/even/tight
grained orientation.

I am amazed at how much more volume I have. The call binds so much better and seems like it requires so much less effort to make what I consider "good turkey sounds."

I have obviously been doing it wrong. Picking the right species of wood and knowing which characteristics to look for is paramount to say the least.

Carry on... :icon_thumright:

Offline Gobbler2577

Re: Paddles/lids...epiphany
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 10:39:45 PM »
The turkey is in the lid, not the box.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

Offline pauld

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 09:30:56 PM »
The turkey is in the lid, not the box.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

Agree fully.

Offline culpeper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 10:05:37 AM »
ozark...you have discovered one of the primary criteria, not only is grain orientation essential, but density and weight is key as well.  As you found in the purpleheart you will also find in many of the exotic wood species.

I disagree with the notion that the turkey is in the lid only.  I couldn't say how many box calls I have built over the past 10 years, but I constantly switch lids on bodies and visa, versa.  When one lid works on one body, it won't on another.  Without great tone wood in the body it doesn't matter what lid material you use, it won't work.  With a great block of Butternut, Poplar or Black Limba many different lids will work simply because that block of Limba has the characteristics needed.  You can have a great Bloodwood lid, but until you find the best block of Butternut you won't have a great turkey call.  The two are not independent of each other IMO

Offline ozarktroutbum

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 11:43:12 AM »
I appreciate y’all insight. I really don’t know any call makers personally.