OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Alps Grand Slam Speed Seat MOD  (Read 11521 times)

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
Alps Grand Slam Speed Seat MOD
« on: January 19, 2019, 04:27:54 PM »
The only thing I've never really liked about my Alps vest is the magnets that hold the seat up. In normal walking conditions I've never had a problem with them but if I was in a hurry or carrying anything the magnets just wouldn't pass the test.

I've always said the Cabelas speed seat design was the best but never thought of modifying the Alps vest until I saw one of Dave Owen's videos where he did just that.

Did it myself yesterday and it was pretty simple. Maybe 30 minutes and $4 elastic webbing.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074ZSXTZ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Started by cutting off the existing straps on the side of the seat. I reused the buckles. The existing straps are 3/4" I believe and the elastic is 1" but it will fit in the buckles.

I made a cut on each side of the seat and shoved a rod through to then pull the elastic through. This looks like what Cabelas did and I assumed that was to allow there to be enough stretch in the elastic to flip the seat.

There is a hard rubber and a foam lining inside the Alps seat. I ran the elastic in between those layers. I made a couple stitches where I cut the fabric.

Then it was just putting the elastic through the buckles and snaping them back to the existing location on the Alps vest.

Seemed to turn out great. Without the kickstand you can still use the magnets. With the kickstand it doesn't want to fold up as well. May just need to play with it a little more but glad I decided to do this. We will see how my stitches hold up.

Offline ctwny1

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Alps Grand Slam Speed Seat MOD
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 11:37:55 AM »
Question? How long is the elastic straps on each side of the seat and through the seat?

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 02:35:45 PM »
Question? How long is the elastic straps on each side of the seat and through the seat?

1 yard total length.

Offline Fdept56

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 04:15:32 PM »
I did pretty much the same thing to mine. I went to Walmart and got two dog collars for $1 each to make straps out of.

Offline ctwny1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 05:31:57 PM »
Gobble...great info and thanks!

Offline SD_smith

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 01:03:57 AM »
So you don’t have to unbuckle the elastic straps? Just flip it down and you are good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ezmorningrebel

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 06:07:20 AM »
nice work.  if i have one complaint on the grand slam it's how difficult it is to get the seat to reattach to the magnets, especially if you've got bulky items in the game bag.  typically when i'm done with a spot i'll slip the vest off and reattach the straps and just unbuckle at the next spot.  the speed seat was my favorite thing on the tt vest.

Offline kennedyh1990

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 11:33:14 AM »
This is great info thanks so much!

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 02:22:26 PM »
So you don’t have to unbuckle the elastic straps? Just flip it down and you are good?

Correct. Grab the seat, flip it, and sit down in one motion. When done flip it back. Not need to buckle/unbuckle or worry about a magnet.

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 04:44:51 PM »
Great idea!
I went with a less inventive fix, but it works. I bought some small but powerful magnets and sewed one in between the two that came with the vest (on seat). On the vest itself, I sewed in a flat washer (also between the existing magnets) so the magnet would have something to be attracted to. Works pretty well...

Offline Fdept56

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 05:53:26 PM »

Correct. Grab the seat, flip it, and sit down in one motion. When done flip it back. Not need to buckle/unbuckle or worry about a magnet.
Nevermind, I like your idea way better!

Offline GomerPyle

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 10:45:34 AM »
I've always said the Cabelas speed seat design was the best but never thought of modifying the Alps vest until I saw one of Dave Owen's videos where he did just that.

You got a link to that video?  I looked through his page but didn't see it.
[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 02:30:42 PM »

He only mentions it in one of his videos. Dosen't go into any detail.

Offline GomerPyle

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 03:00:41 PM »

He only mentions it in one of his videos. Dosen't go into any detail.

10-4.  Looks great.  May have to give that a shot.
[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

Offline Jrkimbrough

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 10:00:48 AM »
Nice mod!  I've never owned a Cabelas vest but it sounds like the same design that's on the K&H RNG vests...