OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hen attack a decoy?

Started by Jrkimbrough, January 18, 2019, 04:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrkimbrough

Has anyone else had a hen attack a decoy?

This past spring I had a lone feeding hen decoy out and had two hens work into my setup and one actually came into 1/2 strut and attacked my feeding hen decoy.

Anyone else seen this happen?

Sir-diealot

Somebody posted a video showing that earlier in the week if I am not mistaken. Here it is, I went and found the video for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aqs5sA4EUU
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

jryser

Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 18, 2019, 07:40:44 PM
Somebody posted a video showing that earlier in the week if I am not mistaken. Here it is, I went and found the video for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aqs5sA4EUU
Yep - Dave posted that and I've seen hens strut, do their version of gobbling, and I think the very old hens lose estrogen which makes some of the genetic expressions from testosterone show up. I had a hen beat my deke to a pulp last year. Wild!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: jryser on January 18, 2019, 08:40:05 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 18, 2019, 07:40:44 PM
Yep - Dave posted that and I've seen hens strut, do their version of gobbling, and I think the very old hens lose estrogen which makes some of the genetic expressions from testosterone show up. I had a hen beat my deke to a pulp last year. Wild!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Female deer do it so why not turkey?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

MK M GOBL

I have had this reaction many times to my DSD Upright Hen.

I killed a tom because of a hen beating on my DSD Upright Hen. When a dominant hen comes in she seems to beeline for the upright, different game with the Feeding Hen. So I was working a tom and he hung up at a fence with a hen, she was doing a little talking and I kept at her and kept working her up. She got mad enough and wouldn't have it anymore crossed the fence and came up to my hen doing an aggravated purr, started to drop her wings and took to beating my DSD, this was to much for that tom to handle and he came running, he didn't make it to the fight before he was flopping :)

MK M GOBL

NCL

MK M GOBL 

Very cool story.

I watched a hen one morning walking toward my setup when she got about parallel, she stopped, looked, and came like a heat seeking missile and jumped on the hen decoy. She totally thrashed that decoy. One of my great memories

Aurora Wild

I had the exact experience MK M GOBL described happen last spring.

Yoder409

Oh, HECK yes !!!!

The sound of an old pee-oh'ed hen pecking the head of a DSD hen carries a LONG way !!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

TRG3

Your inquiry concerning a hen attacking a decoy triggered a situation I had more than a decade ago. It was one of those warm late spring mornings when the birds went the other way at fly down and nothing had returned to my location. I had a Pretty Boy and a couple of hen decoys set up in a picked soybean field and I was enjoying my ground lounger nestled against the base of a big oak on the side of a nearby hill. From my vantage point, I noticed a flock of turkeys some 300+ yards away in a picked corn field across a deep creek. Just for the heck of it, I let out a series of hen yelps and some cutting. Much to my surprise, the turkeys headed my way...and in a hurry! (I wish I knew what I said in turkey talk!) They all flew across the creek and a hen was scolding me as she lead the flock my way. She was the first one to reach my decoys and she kept giving them "heck" as she got face to face with one of the hen decoys. (I made no calls after my initial effort.) Fortunately, the gobblers soon caught up and I dumped the biggest one to which the other two toms pounced on him, walked away, and returned to maul him again. They did this at least a couple of times more. It just goes to show that if you hunt long enough, you will experience that a turkey will do what a turkey wants to do!

CAPTJJ

Ever since I started using a DSD upright hen, other hens have been pecking at it and beating it up. Sometimes they bring in tom with them, hen goes to the hen deke and the tom struts up to the DSD jake.

I had seen this hen coming through on area regularly, one day a few years ago the hen deke really pissed her off and she pecked at it, bumped it and swatted it with her wings for almost a half hour... and she strutted a lot, too.

Here's a few pics, took many more.

fenderhunt4

Had the same thing happen when I was hunting with my son. Those DSD decoys really fool the hens too. 

Got it on video here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FQLSHHZwJwU&feature=youtu.be

Jrkimbrough

Quote from: fenderhunt4 on January 30, 2019, 04:38:42 PM
Had the same thing happen when I was hunting with my son. Those DSD decoys really fool the hens too. 

Got it on video here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FQLSHHZwJwU&feature=youtu.be

Great footage!! :turkey2:

sixbird

I've had hens attack pretty much every hen decoy I ever used. Not on a regular basis mind you...
I've had "foamies" knocked over and trounced by hens and I've had DSD hens beaten mercilessly. Probably more of that action from DSD's than any but, even the stiff looking cheapies will elicit that response if a hen is mad enough...

1iagobblergetter

Neat pictures captjj :icon_thumright: I've also had hens come in mad..Funnest part of using decoys is watching Gobblers and hens reactions to them..I had a Tom beat my Jake decoy so bad he broke a spur off and it flew off the stake. Then of course he died...

randy6471

I've had hens attack my decoys several times.

It's happened a few times when I have been calling aggressively and challenging the dominant hen. Other times I've had hens feeding through my set up and for whatever reason one of them becomes aggressive and start kicking the crap out of my decoy. Actually pretty funny to watch.