OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Blue Mahoe Tube Call Made by Pappy  (Read 8295 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Blue Mahoe Tube Call Made by Pappy
« on: January 17, 2019, 03:14:02 PM »
Try not to laugh to hard at me, first time I have ever even seen one in person so as you would expect I am not very good but have time to improve. Thanks to davisd9 for selling it to me. Last picture is pretty bad but wanted it there so I could ask how my placement of the latex is?
https://soundcloud.com/user-933394494/blue-mahoe-tube-call-first-try
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Blue Mahoe Tube Call Made by Pappy
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 03:18:06 PM »
Glad you got it.  Follow Mr. Morgan's directions for setting the latex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_pOk4TrKHI
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 03:20:12 PM »

Okay thank you, I was using this video for trying to get sound, only had it opened for 5 minutes when I started. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th5ddMmgm0Q&t=186s&index=32&list=PLbF6qMoJbTLzkdmzIrqSSxeTkJKKmXVg8
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline M,Yingling

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • In The Hills, PA
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 04:46:05 PM »
good lookin call   me when i go to tune a tube i start out with reed in a arch like in top pic  and for me run tube i always end up with reed set like in bottom pic but thats me and how iam comfortable running tubes ,,, best thing is practice and get that reed wet lol  and try different reed thickness me i like thicker reed and a looser tension 

Do you have different thickness reeds try them   

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
 https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 07:44:22 PM »

I wish that video was better quality, somethings were hard to see when he was showing you stuff. Not your fault though, just complaining.

John Koenig:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 07:48:17 PM »
good lookin call   me when i go to tune a tube i start out with reed in a arch like in top pic  and for me run tube i always end up with reed set like in bottom pic but thats me and how iam comfortable running tubes ,,, best thing is practice and get that reed wet lol  and try different reed thickness me i like thicker reed and a looser tension 

Do you have different thickness reeds try them   

Thank you. That first picture must be what he means in the video as crescent shaped, I though I was supposed to pull down on the latex until it was curved and could not get it to do that. I think all the latex pieces are the same size. Where can I get others? Also where can I get more of those rubber band deals?

John Koenig:

Offline M,Yingling

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • In The Hills, PA
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 08:56:42 PM »

well once u got the arch then u can pull down on corners ( if its to hard may try bigger oring take call with try different size )   to get more tension on the reed if u fill its not tight enough

their probably just orings and depending what size hard ware or auto parts store 1 1/8in or so most likely u would have measure your ring   ,,where i buy mine its in bulk and i got get like 100  at time but way cheap

the latex PM me your address i got bunch latex reeds here can throw some in envelope ,,, in a pinch can always use latex condoms or gloves 
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
 https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 07:56:34 PM »

well once u got the arch then u can pull down on corners ( if its to hard may try bigger oring take call with try different size )   to get more tension on the reed if u fill its not tight enough

their probably just orings and depending what size hard ware or auto parts store 1 1/8in or so most likely u would have measure your ring   ,,where i buy mine its in bulk and i got get like 100  at time but way cheap

the latex PM me your address i got bunch latex reeds here can throw some in envelope ,,, in a pinch can always use latex condoms or gloves
Thank you. The two hardest things for me were getting the marks on the latex, I do not know how to read a measuring tape so I had to look up where it was located so I learned something new as well. The second was my left had doing its thing and made it hard to get the latex on just right.

John Koenig:

Offline fordhunt

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 10:32:41 AM »
Did you say try not to laugh . you'll get it down soon .????????

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 12:35:05 PM »
Is that what he said to say? I could not make it out. Thanks.

John Koenig:

Offline fordhunt

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 01:32:59 PM »
I meant no harm bro .I apologize ..

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 02:25:00 PM »
I meant no harm bro .I apologize ..
No harm done, in the one video he says to say something as you are using it, I could not make out what he said and I thought that you were saying what he said to say in the video. Man that was a confusing sentence to write.

John Koenig:

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 10:23:40 AM »
I use small rubber bands, do not like the thick black o rings. They are easy to adjust the latex. Now, once you have it just right using the rubber band, wrap a strip of black electrical tape around it to set it. I have gone a whole season like this. Mike
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 07:25:45 PM by mspaci »

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 09:08:48 PM »
I use small rubber bands, do not like the thick black o rings. They are easy to adjust the latex. Noe, once you have it just right, wrap a strip of black electrical tape around it to set it. I have gone a whole season like this. Mike
Thanks for the piece of advise.

John Koenig:

Offline SCGobbler

• Ya can't fix stupid!
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 12:38:33 PM »
Sir-diealot,

I think the crescent he is referring too it created after you get the side to side tension set.

Once you get the sides set, I pull down on the back setting the back tension.  pull slightly, then test, pull slightly, then test.  The back tension will give you the crescent, and will allow for better airflow and rollover with your helps.

Just my two cents unless I'm doing it wrong ;)

The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge