OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Public hunting ground in Ohio

Started by kyturkeyhunter4, January 16, 2019, 02:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyturkeyhunter4

Looking for some good public turkey hunting ground in Ohio any info would be greatly appericated.

aaron

Grab a map and lace up your boots.  Hundreds of  thousands of acres of public in southern and eastern Ohio.  Great time to find big winter flocks.   They will not be far off in spring.  As far as one place being better than another, I think they are all on fairly even playing field if you stay south and east.  Stay as far as you can from major population centers.  (Cincy, Dayton, Columbus)

kyturkeyhunter4

Would know any names of any WMA closer to cincy i don't mean right in the are that is really good. Any info would be a great help just trying to narrow a couple down

Spurs

Pro tip:

Get as far away from big cities as possible.  Made that mistake several times when hunting out of state.  Seems like hiking and bird watching is a way bigger pass time than I though. :TooFunny:
This year is going to suck!!!

perrytrails

Quote from: Spurs on January 17, 2019, 09:12:02 AM
Pro tip:

Get as far away from big cities as possible.  Made that mistake several times when hunting out of state.  Seems like hiking and bird watching is a way bigger pass time than I though. :TooFunny:

He's not kidding, I live in se Ohio. Came out of the woods one morning to a BUS load of bird watchers standing in the road. Guess we have some rare birds around, one is some type of snow owl. Any hoot...

They were polite as I walked by with my gun. I could tell a few were offended because I was bird hunting.

Wayne National Forest has some great turkey hunting. Our population is down somewhat but still plenty of birds.

Big ridges, big timber, not many fields on public in Wayne. Get on those ridges and go, you'll find birds.

Gobble!

Quote from: kyturkeyhunter4 on January 17, 2019, 12:43:02 AM
Would know any names of any WMA closer to cincy i don't mean right in the are that is really good. Any info would be a great help just trying to narrow a couple down

If you havn't heard of OnX check it out. Well worth the $20 or so.

kyturkeyhunter4

Quote from: perrytrails on January 17, 2019, 10:11:33 AM
Quote from: Spurs on January 17, 2019, 09:12:02 AM
Pro tip:

He's not kidding, I live in se Ohio. Came out of the woods one morning to a BUS load of bird watchers standing in the road. Guess we have some rare birds around, one is some type of snow owl. Any hoot...

They were polite as I walked by with my gun. I could tell a few were offended because I was bird hunting.

Wayne National Forest has some great turkey hunting. Our population is down somewhat but still plenty of birds.

Big ridges, big timber, not many fields on public in Wayne. Get on those ridges and go, you'll find birds.
Thanks for the info

perrytrails

tomstopper

I have hunted in Hocking Hills before and had success. Also have been hunting in Tippecanoe Ohio the last couple years but on private land and have been very pleased. Might want to see if there is public land around that area. Hope this helps

kyturkeyhunter4

Thanks fo the info I appericate that  I was just wonting to hunt in Ohio this year really don't have the money for a outfitter so I was trying to find some of good public hunting.

darron

I live and hunt in Ohio. A few off the top of my head tar hollow, zalseki, Shawnee. They will all hold birds and hunters. I'd focus on state forests and not WMA's.

Yoder409

Google Maps satellite/Google Earth are your friends.

;)
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

joey46

If you are in REALLY good shape try the Shawnee State Forest around Portsmouth.  Big hills (mini mountains) that will test you.  It would be a easy drive from Cincy.  Good luck.

Roost 1