OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Waterfowl vs Turkeys

Started by dirt road ninja, January 15, 2019, 11:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greencop01

We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

ol bob

The only good thing about making it to 74 years old is not careing what anyone else thinks or does would have been happier if I had found that out a long time ago.

Greg Massey

Quote from: ol bob on January 15, 2019, 03:30:29 PM
The only good thing about making it to 74 years old is not careing what anyone else thinks or does would have been happier if I had found that out a long time ago.
AMEN

squidd

When I set out duck decoys I always wish I had more Coots; when I set up a few Turkey decoys I wonder if I had too many as in, is three too many??

Happy

I dunno. I drove pat a field in PA a year or so ago and I would have swore those boys were goose hunting. Close to a dozen turkey decoys spread out in front of them and their truck not 100 yards behind them in the field. Figured that was about as far as they could handle packing all that stuff.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

fallhnt

I know what your saying OP. Some members of this forum are "The Man". No TSS,decoys,blinds,early archery season,hunting past 12:00,Fall hunting, shooting hens,shooting jakes,fanning,using a .410. I know I left some out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

silvestris

I was taught by Kenny Morgan, who hated decoys and who belived that they gave the "hunter" an unfair advantage.  I stand with Kenny and daily miss him with all my heart.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Crghss

I don't even use a call duck hunting. I also try and set my dekes to guide the ducks to land closer too me.

I've used turkey decoys and sometimes not used them. It legal so what does it matter.

Whether on a mountain top or in a blind over looking a marsh, I absolutely love watching the sun raise and light up the sky. It's the perfect time of day.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

LaLongbeard

Quote from: silvestris on January 15, 2019, 09:46:50 PM
I was taught by Kenny Morgan, who hated decoys and who belived that they gave the "hunter" an unfair advantage.  I stand with Kenny and daily miss him with all my heart.
I think it funny that Kennys book and several others like the Old Pro etc. are on most everybody's  favorite list, and theses books clearly spell out the same rules of the game. How come so many are fans of the book but cry when someone states the same opinion such as decoys or other gimmicks.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

silvestris

I made the decision not to get in a pissing match with Phippshunt, for obvious reasons, and I see no reason to revise that decision.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

BB30

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 15, 2019, 11:14:37 AM
Got a question for you guys that duck hunt. Are there waterfowl hunters out there that have a negative opinion on the use of decoys for ducks and geese? It seems like a growing number of post on here are looking down on dekes for turkeys and I figured the duck hunting world would be the same way. As both birds can be called to the gun. I have done some duck hunting and most of it was using dekes, but I mostly went along as a guest with friends.

Ducks are ducks and turkeys are turkeys. When ducks are circling a field and make a few passes if they hear calling but don't see decoys it immediately gives the game up.

As stated previously you can get away with no decoys in flooded timber as they have a much harder time picking decoys out.

Same with woods turkeys vs field turkeys to an extent. Generally speaking it's pretty tough to call a gobbler straight to the gun sitting on the edge of an open field because he doesn't see the hen that is calling to him. Whereas in the woods it's much easier because he has to search for the hen so you have less hang ups.

Basically ducks have a lot more eyes on a setup and could easily realize there are no ducks down there calling to them.

Duck decoys in a field are almost a must if you are hunting traffic birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomstopper

Quote from: fallhnt on January 15, 2019, 09:25:12 PM
I know what your saying OP. Some members of this forum are "The Man". No TSS,decoys,blinds,early archery season,hunting past 12:00,Fall hunting, shooting hens,shooting jakes,fanning,using a .410. I know I left some out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Crossbow, 20 vs 12gauge. Did you forget these....lol

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

LaLongbeard

Quote from: silvestris on January 15, 2019, 11:18:11 PM
I made the decision not to get in a pissing match with Phippshunt, for obvious reasons, and I see no reason to revise that decision.
I was agreeing with what you said about decoys and Kenny Morgans opinion of them. I've said it before reading comprehension is almost non existent on this forum. I'm not sure if y'all get so butt hurt because of what you read or what you think you read lol. Either way you'll forget all about it in an hour or so lol.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Bowguy

I know tons of waterfowl guys. Killed 147 myself one year. I only know so as I was doing harvest surveys for govt and my buddy was doing wing surveys. Let's say idk bout other areas but not one single waterfowl guy would ever set without dekes, except beginners or pass shooters and pass shooting to me isn't duck hunting, it's duck shooting.
For one you the way we hunt we don't shoot until feet are down and wings are set. We often use improved cylinder or skeet chokes and often .20 ga at that. The shots are 15-20 yards maybe.
Decoy usage can get birds to land but water direction and certainly wind direction have lots of bearing on where they set down. I should add so do trees and if say it's a brook or river twists, turns in the land.
When hunting reservoirs it could be coves/points that matter. But let's take the brooks, rivers into account. Without getting too technical dekes not only give them a place to land by inviting them into a set but you can also block areas you don't want them to go by placing dekes there.
Imagine trying to kill divers without em. In a large area they may not investigate anywhere near you without them and if they did that might be your shots for the day.
Differences , I guess w turkeys some guys feel above that. Idk I'm deaf in one ear now (can't triangulate sound to tell direction)and can't see out of one eye from my illness. Running n gunning really became challenging last year or so. Dekes give me a direction to look and at least allow me a chance. The difference is I never field sit, on a mountain ridge it's not a long range advantage and certainly not the main technique like if in a field, only a direction helper for me.
Now again imagine more differences. Take bait. Imo baiting deer is simply cause guys don't really know how to hunt. God has baited all year for ya so why spend money if you understand deer?  I can't put it more blunt or matter of fact than that but it's legal and accepted. Imagine the uproar baiting turkeys or waterfowl? Imo that's a bigger issue.
I'll also add lots of guys tout Kenny Morgan's book/thoughts. It's great but mention Ray Eye and the things he's done and you'll hear guys say wonderful things about him. How many videos show him rot in a blind w dekes?? They show him call so much and not really that great. All big no nos. I guess he's only a sub expert by some guys standards.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Happy on January 15, 2019, 01:58:41 PM
I am gonna draw a quick analogy here. (I think that's the right word). Round here in the spring you see some guys wandering up and down the river trout fishing. On one hand you see fellows with fly rods, creels, and nice vests. On the other hand you see a fellow roll up and pull a cooler loaded with natty light, night crawlers and a couple jars of power bait to complement his nifty spinning reel. When it comes to fishing I are that second guy much more than the first. I don't care about fish. They are entertainment and fun to take a bunch of kids out to have some fun. The fly fisherman is more than likely going to look down his nose at me and that's fine. More power to him. He has invested way more time and effort into something he is passionate about and wants to master. I will cheerfully acknowledge his superiority and go about my day cheerfully and have fun. Many outdoor activities follow the same trend and always will. Only difference is some want to appear as masters while dunking night crawlers so to speak and get offended when they aren't included. Why anyone feels the need to be portrayed as the greatest outdoorsman alive is beyond me but I digress. I take hunting very seriously and there are many things I won't do that are perfectly legal. There are guys out there that will limit themselves even more than i and I have nothing but respect for them. However I am happy and I am driven to feel like I have earned every animal I have killed. If not I won't kill it. Everyone else has to figure out their own way. But if someone looking down their nose atvyouboffends you then maybe the problem isn't them.

...Pretty well sums up things for me...  well put.