OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Turkey Gun Optics  (Read 6635 times)

Offline ScottS

Re: Turkey Gun Optics
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2019, 02:04:24 PM »
I currently have 2 FFIIs and a SpeedDot. Just added a Sig Romeo 5 to the arsenal. The Romeo has motion sensor ability, you turn it on and after 2 minutes of inactivity, it shuts down. When you move it again, it automatically turns back on. They are bragging 40,000 hours of battery life.
Now that sounds pretty freaking slick, I’ll have to check that sig out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2019, 04:26:28 PM »
300 dollar sights will work fine also 100 dollar sight will kill just as dead ... Good reasonable red dot is the Bushnell TRS 25....
I just want to make sure the sight can handle the recoil. I’ve had some truglo sights fail in the past.
:agreed: :thanks: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
That's EXACTLY!!! right!! I had a Trujunk sight fail, cost me one bird and almost another bird on an out of state hunt. I went to Trijicon RMR's and now I don't have to worry about an "affordable" sight failing and costing me the hunt.

Offline Muzzy61

• Longbeard
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2019, 05:03:11 PM »
Bushnell TRS-25.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline misfire

• Double Beard
    • Misfire Game Calls, custom duck and turkey calls
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2019, 05:21:43 PM »
I currently have 2 FFIIs and a SpeedDot. Just added a Sig Romeo 5 to the arsenal. The Romeo has motion sensor ability, you turn it on and after 2 minutes of inactivity, it shuts down. When you move it again, it automatically turns back on. They are bragging 40,000 hours of battery life.
Now that sounds pretty freaking slick, I’ll have to check that sig out!

I will give my honest opinion of it after testing
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2019, 05:33:09 PM »
i run a trijicon RMR the "dual illuminated" that fiber optic illuminates from sunlight during day.  love that i doesn't require batteries and it has never lost zero after being abused but if you are in a dark blind looking out into bright sunlight it is hard to pickup the dot. 

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2019, 06:06:51 PM »
i run a trijicon RMR the "dual illuminated" that fiber optic illuminates from sunlight during day.  love that i doesn't require batteries and it has never lost zero after being abused but if you are in a dark blind looking out into bright sunlight it is hard to pickup the dot. 
Yep, can't say enough good stuff about the RMR dual illumination sights. No batteries, super tough, no worries. I rarely hunt out of a blind, so I haven't experienced the concern you mentioned.

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2019, 11:27:35 AM »
Yep, can't say enough good stuff about the RMR dual illumination sights. No batteries, super tough, no worries. I rarely hunt out of a blind, so I haven't experienced the concern you mentioned.
yes, i love knowing i can pull my shotgun out of my safe and go hunt and don't have to worry about my sight batteries being dead or sight being off zero.  the dark into light effect is annoying but i have never had it where i was not able to kill a turkey.  if you sit in a very shady area under a tree looking out into a bright sunlit area you can get the same affect.  the dot is just real faint against the brighter background.  i'm running green dot, so maybe the red is not as noticeable.

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2019, 12:00:57 PM »
yes, i love knowing i can pull my shotgun out of my safe and go hunt and don't have to worry about my sight batteries being dead or sight being off zero.  the dark into light effect is annoying but i have never had it where i was not able to kill a turkey.  if you sit in a very shady area under a tree looking out into a bright sunlit area you can get the same affect.  the dot is just real faint against the brighter background.  i'm running green dot, so maybe the red is not as noticeable.
  For this reason right here , is the reason i always use saddle mount's were i can still see my regular sights ....

Offline Kylongspur88

• Longbeard
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2019, 08:35:31 PM »
I upgraded from a regular bead at the end of my barrel to a red fiber-optic bead at the end of my barrel. No batteries and no worries about recoil.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2019, 11:09:01 PM »
I run a Vortex Venom. Won't hunt without it.

Offline ScottS

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2019, 11:13:30 PM »
I upgraded from a regular bead at the end of my barrel to a red fiber-optic bead at the end of my barrel. No batteries and no worries about recoil.
I have fiber optic rifle sights on my sxp with an Indian creek choke tube but for some reason I’m hitting low and my sights have ran out of adjustment. That’s the reason I’m wanting to switch to the red dot. I killed 6 birds last year and I could probably count the number of pellets that actually hit their heads with my fingers. Not sure why the pattern is being thrown so low. Every load I shoot it does the same

Offline Gobbler428

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Spurs Up
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2019, 07:15:16 AM »
As you can tell from the responses, there are a lot of good red dots on the market and at several different price points.  I shoot an SBE 2 and they are notorious for shooting high. After researching the available red dots and reading all I could find on the subject here on OG I decided on the Vortex Venom for three reasons: #1 Lots of adjustment  #2 Easy to replace battery #3 Lifetime unconditional warranty. I hunted with it last year for the first time and could not be more pleased with it.

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2019, 02:28:38 PM »
if you sit in a very shady area under a tree looking out into a bright sunlit area you can get the same affect.  the dot is just real faint against the brighter background.  i'm running green dot, so maybe the red is not as noticeable.
I've got a red/green color deficiency in my eyes. So red doesn't stand out to me like it does people with normal sight. I had to teach myself to blood trail deer. So I have always used green since I figured out that I can't see red dots worth a darn.

Offline LRD

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2019, 01:39:28 PM »
I have a Burris FF3 that I put on my gun last year and love it.  I had always used a bead before last year.  My son has a Bushnell TRS25 which is cheaper but more bulky.  It has held up and kept zero on his 20 gauge.  We will put a FF3 on his at some point because it's smaller, but I wouldn't hesitate to have another Bushnell.  We also had one on a 30-30 that held zero, and he killed 7 deer with.

Offline Sasha and Abby

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2019, 05:15:56 PM »
Burris FFIII with the Speedbead mount...  I did a lot of research a few years ago and made the baddest SBE dedicated turkey gun, that I have ever seen.  Benelli Steady Grip and 24" barrel with Kicks GT .665 will crush a bird farther than I ever have to shoot.