OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help me choose which gun comes out

Started by 100rollie, January 27, 2019, 11:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

100rollie

First post here, really enjoying the content. Watching "The Pihoti Project" on YouTube has motivated me to get back into the sport I so enjoyed throughout the 80's and 90"s.

So, the choices are;

1) Rem. 870 wingmaster mid 70's 12 ga. "2 3/4" only model. Vent rib. barrel cut to 23 1/2" installed turkey choke conversion by Mark Bansner of Bansner's Gunsmithing Specialties back around 1993.

2) Browning BPS 12 ga. 3" model 26 1/2" barrel with paternmaster full turkey screw in choke tube. Both this choke tube and shot gun were purchased new in 2001, and never fired.

My son's baseball excursions up and down the east coast every spring pretty much stopped all spring turkey hunting except a day or two with the recurve on a hunting lease with a blind every year for close to 10 years. BUT, my daughter just moved to an area where there is tens of thousands of acres of public, and I am excited about getting back into the type of turkey hunting I grew up with.

I actually plan on pulling both guns out of the safe and patterning them. The Rem. shot 2 3/4" #6 Hevishot if I remember correctly. I'm not sure where to start with the Browning probably a few different kinds of 3" #6's? any recommendations would be greatly appreciated on either gun. After a trip to the local sporting goods store the choices are overwhelming.

I will also be experimenting with a Primary Arms 2.5X compact scope I have here in a box that was going to go on my A.R. but decided not to. I'm interested to see how a turkey's head and neck view at 40 yards in this "horseshoe" style lighted reticle

Again, any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks 100rollie.

CrustyRusty

I love old wingmasters, so if it were me I would try that with tss.  Otherwise, that bps will be hard to beat for a turkey gun.  I would use hevi 6 or 7's in the bps. 

And welcome aboard...

100rollie

Thanks for the welcome, great forum.
Yeah, they both are nice guns. surprised at the lack of 2 3/4" rounds compared to others.
Getting a weaver top mount base put on the browning next week, 870 has the saddle style not sure I like though.

Bowguy

Welocome. I'd just use the bps and be done.

100rollie

Thanks,
Sure seems to be alot more 3" availabilty then the 2 3/4".
\I have to say I do like the thumb safety on the BPS a lot too.

LaLongbeard

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

1iagobblergetter

:welcomeOG:I'd go with the wingmaster also as long as finding 2 3/4 shells isnt an issue which i wouldnt think would be that hard.

Bowguy

Quote from: 100rollie on January 27, 2019, 02:40:30 PM
Thanks,
Sure seems to be alot more 3" availabilty then the 2 3/4".
\I have to say I do like the thumb safety on the BPS a lot too.
That's exactly the issue. 2-3/4 can be found and they can work but it's too limited imo. Hunting is supposed to be fun. Now if for some reason you had multiple guns, it's was your father's gun and had sentimental value, if you were sure shots would be real close and easy(not saying to push it w 3"), Id understand the rem choice.
Here's another idk bout the guns in question but my wing master is real shiny, what are yours like?
I'm not saying you need full camo, I've shot plenty of turkey w plain wood or blacked out guns. Even hunted them w a wing master in the 80s. I'd prob just pick a gun without a glossy finish or at least hide that w something.
Regarding chokes/loads I always recommend a decent pattern. By that I mean decent hunting pattern. One that's easy to use initially. By that I mean not super tight. Learn effective range and stick w that
Some loads for instance are too tight, no wiggle room.

Check your pattern for point of aim issues. I personally use Winchester supreme lead. The federal mag shock are good too. If you want non toxic loads heavy shot is decent and some fellows swear by TSS but to me it's too expensive.
Mark Bansner was the shotgun man back when. So shoot the rem too and check gun. Just remember not to pull out your hair out w the limitations. Have fun learning your guns. Most guys have more than one turkey gun anyway. Get them both ready if possible.

fmf

Quote from: 100rollie on January 27, 2019, 02:40:30 PM
I have to say I do like the thumb safety on the BPS a lot too.

I would use the BPS even if it were only for that reason right there

g8rvet

I would check out Winchester Longbeards as well.  Cheap enough for a box just to see how it shoots out of your setup.  I don't shoot them, but every time someone runs some through their set up they have been impressed. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.