turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Zeroing scope

Started by blake_08, January 24, 2019, 10:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blake_08

Hello all. I've got a question that i'm probably way over thinking, but that's pretty typical for me. I've got an 870 SPS that i'm taking the red dot off of and putting a Prodiamond 4x scope on and i was wondering how most people with scopes usually zero them. I don't know if i should zero at 20 and if i did, if the center of the pattern would drop significantly at 40. Or vice versa, if i zeroed at 40 would the shot be high at 20. Details of the setup are:

870 20" barrel
fixed 4x32 scope
3.5" 2oz 5 shot Longbeard XRs @ 1200fps

Of course mounting it and shooting will answer these questions, but i figured i'd run it by the board first. I tried using the search function and didn't come up with much, so any help is appreciated. This will be the first scope i've ever put on a shotgun.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: blake_08 on January 24, 2019, 10:18:11 AM
Hello all. I've got a question that i'm probably way over thinking, but that's pretty typical for me. I've got an 870 SPS that i'm taking the red dot off of and putting a Prodiamond 4x scope on and i was wondering how most people with scopes usually zero them. I don't know if i should zero at 20 and if i did, if the center of the pattern would drop significantly at 40. Or vice versa, if i zeroed at 40 would the shot be high at 20. Details of the setup are:

870 20" barrel
fixed 4x32 scope
3.5" 2oz 5 shot Longbeard XRs @ 1200fps

Of course mounting it and shooting will answer these questions, but i figured i'd run it by the board first. I tried using the search function and didn't come up with much, so any help is appreciated. This will be the first scope i've ever put on a shotgun.

Personally I zero at 10 yards. The reason being...at 10 yards and maybe 20 your pattern could be so tight that precision is key while at 40 yards your pattern is usually quite large and takes a good amount to miss a bird. If I were you I would zero somewhere between 10-20 yards and then shoot at 40 to see if it hits high or low. If so, just keep that in mind when you are shooting but I bet you are still good.

Greg Massey

I took a bore sight , and set my Simmons pro diamond before i took it out and shoot it , and i guess i got lucky i didn't have to readjust anything ... The bore sight i used was the Bushnell one with the shotgun adapters ...I think i got it off Amazon for less than 30 dollars .... The shells I'm shooting are Federal HW 7 ... Some people may say you can't bore sight shotgun ... but that's bull in my opinion ....

dirt road ninja

Sight in with low brass dove loads at 12.5 yards, then move to 25 yards with dove loads, then 40 yards. Once that's done, send a turkey load down range at 40 to confirm all is well. Sometimes I skip the 25 yard shots.

bbcoach

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 24, 2019, 11:10:03 AM
Sight in with low brass dove loads at 12.5 yards, then move to 25 yards with dove loads, then 40 yards. Once that's done, send a turkey load down range at 40 to confirm all is well. Sometimes I skip the 25 yard shots.
THIS!!!  Most red dots and scopes have adjustments of 1/4 inch at 50 or 100 yards so 12.5 yards should be your starting point for easy math adjustments.  Using dove loads will get you close and one finally adjustment at 40 should be spot on.  One other tip, make sure you shoot at a big target.  Preferably 30 x 30 butcher paper.

MK M GOBL

When I have done this I sit at the bench and gun on rest, I start with light "cheap" game or trap loads. I use a "sight=in" target at 10 yards (I am punching a hole at this range) and want to be "on" my short distance for kills. Once I have this I shoot a long range 40yard target just to see, don't really ever kill over 20 yards (my game) anymore. I use my choice of load and go from there. A lot will depend on you/your hunt and what you need.

I first put a scope on back in 1995 and built a dedicated turkey gun, I have a Bushnell "Turkey" Scope on mine and I call it "The Circle of Death"

MK M GOBL