OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Is TSS worth it? Change my mind  (Read 8179 times)

Offline Premier Turkey Calls

Is TSS worth it? Change my mind
« on: January 14, 2019, 07:11:40 PM »
I would really like to know if it is worth the extra money to change to TSS? Lead has been getting the job done for me ever since I started throwing it at turkeys. Would there be any true advantage to TSS other than being able to shoot a further distance and having more pellets in your pattern. I personally have no intention to ever shoot past 45 yards even if I had the capability to do so. Turkey hunting to me is at its best when it is up close and personal. I'm not trying to start another TSS debate, I just struggle to see the advantage of a $8-$10 a shot vs my current $2 a shot (longbeard xr). I enjoy practice shooting and trying and comparing different loads and shot but if I was paying that much per shot i'd shoot 1-2 shots before the season and call it good. Is it worth it?

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Is TSS worth it? Change my mind
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 07:13:58 PM »
To me, yes. I do not shot long ranges and could kill birds with lead or Hevi just the same, but TSS thumps them good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Upfold99

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 07:16:24 PM »
I like to have the best chance to kill the bird at whatever I determine is an ethical shot. So at 40 yds I can have 130 chances or 250 chances to kill him. More pellets make me more confident. At the end of the day. The shell is probably the cheapest thing I have in my vest.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline gaswamp

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 07:29:20 PM »
I would really like to know if it is worth the extra money to change to TSS? Lead has been getting the job done for me ever since I started throwing it at turkeys. Would there be any true advantage to TSS other than being able to shoot a further distance and having more pellets in your pattern. I personally have no intention to ever shoot past 45 yards even if I had the capability to do so. Turkey hunting to me is at its best when it is up close and personal. I'm not trying to start another TSS debate, I just struggle to see the advantage of a $8-$10 a shot vs my current $2 a shot (longbeard xr). I enjoy practice shooting and trying and comparing different loads and shot but if I was paying that much per shot i'd shoot 1-2 shots before the season and call it good. Is it worth it?

If you are carrying a 12ga IMO its not necessary

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 07:31:37 PM »

If you are carrying a 12ga IMO its not necessary

Agree

“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Premier Turkey Calls

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 07:36:12 PM »
I do shoot a 12 gauge. When I first started hunting turkeys I was using Remington Nitro Turkey's with a so so pattern and I never had an issue bringing down a bird. I understand why someone would use it for a 20 gauge or .410 which is kinda cool that a .410 is now considered a turkey gun.

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 09:11:16 PM »
I do shoot a 12 gauge. When I first started hunting turkeys I was using Remington Nitro Turkey's with a so so pattern and I never had an issue bringing down a bird. I understand why someone would use it for a 20 gauge or .410 which is kinda cool that a .410 is now considered a turkey gun.

That’s the biggest reason most shoot it. Carry a lighter smaller gun that when equipped with TSS can out perform a larger heavier 12 gauge shooting lead.

I shoot it for quality control mostly. I know every shell I load will pattern nearly identical to the next. I’ve had issues with manufacturers shells not holding up and the crimp failing or manufacturers changing components in a shell from season to season that had a negative impact on the pattern. Other reason is I like to throw as much shot as I can to increase my odds. With TSS I can do that using #9s that have the same performance as lead #5s.

I also load it in my sons 20 gauge. He was 5 last year and shot his first turkey. I wanted a load with lots of shot that was not only forgiving on the shoulder but also at 20 yards while still having the pattern to kill birds at 35-40 yards. I found that with 1.125ozs of TSS #10s.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 10:25:28 AM by Gobble! »

Offline RUN-N-GUN

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 09:37:33 PM »
If you shoot a 12 it is definitely not necessary. I shoot it in my 12 because where I hunt it gets really thick. My logic is that the more pellets that I can send down range the less chance of interference with small brush and vines that I can’t see.

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 09:42:06 PM »
Not at all for my game, don't need a special choke or shells when you kill them at the under 20 yard and closer to 15 yard range consistently. I'm all about putting them in your face and killing them close!!

MK M GOBL

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 10:10:16 PM »
It is easy to talk about up close and personal in a blind with decoys around you. Sitting against a tree with nothing but hoping your set up is good enough to not get picked out by him is where the rush and enjoyment comes from. I would rather kill one at 40 with nothing but air between us than one a 10 in a blind with any weapon.

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 03:21:42 AM »
It is easy to talk about up close and personal in a blind with decoys around you. Sitting against a tree with nothing but hoping your set up is good enough to not get picked out by him is where the rush and enjoyment comes from. I would rather kill one at 40 with nothing but air between us than one a 10 in a blind with any weapon.

Have killed them in the timber, out in an open picked corn field (no cover) and in an open pasture (again no cover) and no decoys or blind just my mouth call and shotgun and still under 20, I pick my sets right. And yes I do use a blind and decoys for hunts with youth, newbies, bow hunters and video all depends on the hunt and who I am calling for, but when I'm solo it's a different game.

MK M GOBL

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Is TSS worth it? Change my mind
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 06:34:48 AM »

Have killed them in the timber, out in an open picked corn field (no cover) and in an open pasture (again no cover) and no decoys or blind just my mouth call and shotgun and still under 20, I pick my sets right. And yes I do use a blind and decoys for hunts with youth, newbies, bow hunters and video all depends on the hunt and who I am calling for, but when I'm solo it's a different game.

MK M GOBL

I have killed them in the swamps, cutovers, timber, open pasture, ag fields, and about any other place you can. I have killed them with nothing but a call, I have ambushed, I have crawled, and I have killed over decoys. I have never killed one in a blind but I have sat in one with a buddy when he did. I have a way I prefer to hunt but if another guy decides to hunt another way that is fine, just never make it out to be more than it is.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 07:54:09 AM »
I will agree that for real tiny guns like a .410 it’s a good thing. I still don’t see shooting anything far and I def don’t see justifying the price. If you don’t need it such as you say you don’t w a bigger gun. Imo even a 20 is way acceptable without em and in many places around here smaller sizes are illegal(under 7.5-8).
On the other hand it may seem expensive but once sighted in a couple of shots a year really aren’t that pricey if this is what you want to do. Is it necessary, no. Can it help, apparently for some guys especially w sub gauges.
Think about what’s best/necessary for you

Offline daddyduke

• Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 08:40:30 AM »
I have 4 shotguns that all will ethically kill a bird out to 40 with lead. So I don't see a need for anything else.  :z-twocents:
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 08:58:40 AM »
I made the switch 5 years ago and never looked back. I remember the last bird I was on while hunting with one of my 12ga's. He came around a downed tree top following a hen at my 0900 position. Had to swing the gun and hold it unsupported. The shot opportunity did not happen fast enough and I could no longer hold the gun, spooking both birds.  The following year I started loading my own and hunting with a very light weight 20ga.  I have found the older I get the more I enjoy that lil 20ga and its killer patterning ability with the TSS.

Willing to bet the shells I load are around 5-6$$  each. Knowing the quality control and having the satisfaction of loading shells we kill with is also rewarding. And trust me I have spend more money on dumber things.
Don't gobble at me...