OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: West Virginia member, nearly 67 new at turkey hunting...  (Read 2069 times)

Offline Circuit Rider

West Virginia member, nearly 67 new at turkey hunting...
« on: January 14, 2019, 04:09:08 PM »
From Harpers Ferry, WV, I've decided to start turkey hunting @ 67 yrs young.  A long story I will cut to the chase, but avid deer hunter 40+ yrs ago, but never turkey hunted.  I wanted to, but didn't have the opportunity.  I stopped hunting 40 yrs ago, and started deer hunting again this past Dec.  I'm a 2x cancer survivor, and still have leukemia, but the Lord has given me the strength to do what I always loved, hunting, and preaching the Word of God.

I want to learn from you guys and get in the woods this spring.  I just got an old (good shape) Iver Johnson 12ga 32", and today I ordered some mouth calls from Hook's (Alpha pack for beginners, and Executioner 2).  I know I need a lot to learn and practice with these calls.   I'll have an old 870 Lohman box caller in a couple weeks.  Have some good public & private land to hunt around me.

I appreciate the opportunity to be here, and to learn from your experience that I lost out on.  Please forgive my stupid questions, as I get started.   I have a lot of ground to make up, and appreciate your help.  Thank you

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
Re: West Virginia member, nearly 67 new at turkey hunting...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 05:59:25 PM »
 :welcomeOG: :wagon: :welcomeOG:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline daddyduke

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 08:13:23 AM »
Welcome to O.G. from Indiana turkey chaser.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 03:12:24 PM »
Welcome to OG great to have you. Bueatuful country out your way, been through your state a few times and was going to go mountain biking there before my car accident. Also went there to so some preaching a few years ago, I believe it was called Fire on the Mountain Camp but am not quite sure of the name. Good old fashioned KJV Independent Baptist preaching. I really enjoyed it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 08:09:08 PM »
Welcome. I am down in that area a good bit on work. Lots of farmland and turkeys.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Harty

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 11:20:31 AM »
Welcome!

I started Turkey hunting later in life as well. I hunted just about everything and a friend never understood why Turkeys wasn’t on the list. Said I should try it. He took me out and it’s been an addiction ever since.

Oh and KUDOS on being a cancer survivor. I admire your courage!

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 12:42:31 PM »
Welcome. Keep fighting sir. I have had some relatives and friends that have had some form of cancer. Its a battle and my hat is off to you. Also there is no such thing as a stupid question. Anything I can do to help you, please just let me know.  :welcomeOG:

Offline firedup

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 12:57:30 PM »
Welcome from another WV turkey hunter!  I am about your age, been turkey hunting along time and still know very little!  LOL!  Good luck!

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 08:31:56 AM »
Welcome to OG