News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

loss of lessons learned

Started by dirt road ninja, January 14, 2019, 12:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylongspur88

Quote from: Happy on January 14, 2019, 01:41:02 PM
I have heard the hype on the longbeard ammo but testing in my gun showed that 50 yards is the max range I would feel confident with it.  That's with 2 oz #5's. I am sure some of it is the way I have it set up but there is a lot of marketing hype that is really detrimental to the sport with most ammo companies.

Agreed. I shoot longbeards but am well aware of their limit in my gun. The marketing/adds on these when they came out was unethical in my opinion.

Gooserbat

I've been on the TSS Train for a few years now.  Honestly It's picked up some yardage but out of the 20 or so birds I've taken in the last 3 years, I only can think of one bird that those extra steps made a difference on.  That said I'll keep using it and enjoying it.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Spitten and drummen

I shoot tss out of my 20ga and enjoy loading them. I am a turkey hunter and dont use it to extend my range. I use it because in my opinion it is the most effective in energy and patterns that i have found. I shoot birds no farther than i have over my 40 years of turkey hunting. I have let birds walk that i know i could have most likely killed with it because i felt they were past 45 yards. I still have what i feel are acceptable goals. Thats to play the game and get them in close. Even though they are in effective range for tss , i still feel i did not beat the bird so he lives to do battle with me again. Just my 2 cents.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Greg Massey

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on January 14, 2019, 10:23:43 PM
I shoot tss out of my 20ga and enjoy loading them. I am a turkey hunter and dont use it to extend my range. I use it because in my opinion it is the most effective in energy and patterns that i have found. I shoot birds no farther than i have over my 40 years of turkey hunting. I have let birds walk that i know i could have most likely killed with it because i felt they were past 45 yards. I still have what i feel are acceptable goals. Thats to play the game and get them in close. Even though they are in effective range for tss , i still feel i did not beat the bird so he lives to do battle with me again. Just my 2 cents.
Totally agree, great post....

Gobbler2577

I remember back 18 or 19 years ago I hunted a bird 13 or 14 mornings in a row.  He was using a guys farm that has 3 creeks running through it.  The creeks ar more or less parallel and about 100 yards apart with mostly pasture between.  I never could get that bird to cross any of the creeks and he would roost and then fly down in a completely different place every day.  There were times I could've easily killed him with what is available today but I learned more from that one gobbler than any other single bird.  I will never forget killing him at 12 steps or the sadness I felt the morning after knowing he was gone.  I like killing them, but that's not what it is about.  Some of my best memories are birds I never laid eyes on.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

paboxcall

Quote from: Gobbler2577 on January 16, 2019, 08:52:52 AMSome of my best memories are birds I never laid eyes on.

Ain't that the absolute truth.
:icon_thumright:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer