turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Honest Opinions on Ol Tom Clothes

Started by SD_smith, January 13, 2019, 10:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD_smith

I'm in the market this year for a couple new shirts and pants for spring turkey. Been looking at the Ol Tom brand. What do y'all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobble!

I've had the Dursley's vestless shirt for probably 3/4 years and have had zero issues. Their vests fall apart from my experience but the shirt has been top notch. Have a pair of pants also but they tore in the crotch. Either from crossing a fence or sticky to my legs and rubber boots when crouching down, not sure which. My third pair of pants to do this from various brands so I blame user error.

Rapscallion Vermilion

I have their Interceptor shirt and pants which I like very much.  Wish they hadn't discontinued that line.

dirt road ninja

Got a few shirts, a pair or two of the pants, and a vest. The pants are too thin and tear quickly, but they do have pockets everywhere. The shirts are ok with the pockets being great. My vest is going on season six with substantial wear. If you can find it on sale i'd Give the shirts a try, wouldn't pay retail for it. Academy has a Magellan shirt for 19 bucks that is very comparable to theirs. My favorite feature which I found brilliant is the magnetic pockets and magnetic seat cushion. That feature alone makes it worth looking at their products.

buzzardroost

The shirts are nice and are on sale for 29 bucks now that they've released a new shirt. Pants are nice too. I'll say this though, the material is HOT. I prefer it in colder weather.

NCL

I have both the pants and shirt and would agree they are thin. I have not noticed the thinness as a wear problem as much as a comfort problem because early in the season when it is still cold they do not provide much thermal protection. If I wear the Ol Tom early in the season  then I just layer and it is not a problem. In warmer climates this would not be a problem. As mentioned the magnetic pockets are great as you can put a call away and not worry about it falling out. One last though, the Ol Tom customer service is outstanding. A few years ago I purchased a pants at the end of the season and foolishly did not try in on when it arrived. When I tried the pants on at the beginning of the next season I found then too small, a note here I I find the Ol Tom sizes run small, normally a 2XX is perfect for me I need their 3XXX, anyway I called thinking it was probably a waste of time but they did exchange the pants for a larger size.

Sixes

I have a few of their vestless shirts and use them for turkey and deer. I really like the pockets and magnetic/zipper protection and the depth of them. I've never tried the spine pad in the shirts, always take them out.

I own several pairs of their overalls that went on clearance a few years back when they were discontinued. They are the best hunting overalls that I have ever worn and hope that they will bring them back at some point.

Jrkimbrough

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 14, 2019, 05:48:43 AM
Academy has a Magellan shirt for 19 bucks that is very comparable to theirs.

Agreed!  Love the Magellan shirts, wish they offered the pants without the zip off legs.  Excellent deal!

ARjtk

I don't care for the ol Tom clothing or vest but this is based on what they sold 7-8 years ago

lowcountry

Go to the Mossy Oak Store and get you some pants there.  Inexpensive and they hold up. 

SD_smith

Quote from: lowcountry on January 14, 2019, 07:35:44 PM
Go to the Mossy Oak Store and get you some pants there.  Inexpensive and they hold up. 

That is just about the only place I have bought camo in the last few years. Love the prices and since I feel like I was the only one wearing Greenleaf before last season that was the only place you could get it. I was just curious what the opinions were on the brand because I think their Vestless shirt would be nice from time to time.

nyhunter

sure wish i could find a Large vestless realtree xtra green shirt to match my pants. I do love the pants tho

Happy

I just picked up some miltary grade BDU pants in bottomland for about 30 dollars a pair. They seem pretty rugged.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Fdept56

Which pants are you buying? I have a pair I've only worn a handful of times and they already have a hole in the crotch.

SD_smith

Quote from: Fdept56 on January 16, 2019, 07:06:36 PM

Which pants are you buying? I have a pair I've only worn a handful of times and they already have a hole in the crotch.

The Tibbee set usually wear out fairly fast, but it's to be expected out of super light material. The cotton mill set I bought are holding up well, but the pattern fades a little. Have another that I started washing inside out with cold water and it's lasting a lot longer. Can't beat the price though.