OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Unicoi  (Read 2753 times)

Offline hunter22

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Unicoi
« on: January 13, 2019, 10:47:43 AM »
My wife and I got home last night. I got to meet a few guys on here and thoroughly enjoyed it. My health did not cooperate like I had hoped and did not get to the floor yesterday. But I did manage to see a lot of stuff Thursday night and Friday. I could only stand for about 15 minutes at a time and would have to go out in the lobby to rest. I missed so many great callmakers tables I had intended to visit. But I did manage to buy a few calls that I will post pics of later. You walk in one end of the room and you have Lamar Williams, Darrin Dawkins, Lewis Stowe, Lon Trice, Billy Buice, Bob Harrell, etc. all sitting in a row. A man could spend the whole show just with these guys. I am always blown away by the consistency of Darrin's box calls. Every one you pick up and play sound so similar and nothing but pure Hen turkey. I asked Lamar if he had any scratch boxes with him. He said he had a couple but they were sold being delivered. He pulled one out that was made in a Neil Cost style in red cedar with a walnut soundboard. He let me run it and let's just say that is the one call that I would have driven all the way to Unicoi to buy. What a tease.

Offline Will_price

Re: Unicoi
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 10:59:40 AM »
It was good to see you again, Mr. Rickey.
Member of The Tenth, since 2005

Offline Pooh4459

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 11:01:38 AM »
I'm glad I got to meet you Hunter22 and that you made it. I agree with ya on Darrins boxes they are really something else. I was able to get 2 really special calls from Lamar Williams. One is a handled shortbox that is in Walnut/ Magnolia he said hes not made many of these and none in magnolia and I got a matching shortbox in magnolia. They sure are some great sounding boxes for sure.

Offline ol bob

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 11:06:18 AM »
Glad that I got to see you, I wasn't able to stay long but had a ball while I was there.

Offline hunter22

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 11:23:11 AM »
It was good to see you again, Mr. Rickey.

So glad I got to see you Will. Sorry I did not get to visit longer. You guys were turning out the calls.

Offline hunter22

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 11:25:35 AM »
I'm glad I got to meet you Hunter22 and that you made it. I agree with ya on Darrins boxes they are really something else. I was able to get 2 really special calls from Lamar Williams. One is a handled shortbox that is in Walnut/ Magnolia he said hes not made many of these and none in magnolia and I got a matching shortbox in magnolia. They sure are some great sounding boxes for sure.

Great calls. Those handled short boxes from Lamar are special. Good thing I did not see the Magnolia. LOL

Offline hunter22

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 11:30:11 AM »
Glad that I got to see you, I wasn't able to stay long but had a ball while I was there.

Nice to meet you Bob and shake your hand. I have always admired your trumpets.

Offline Gobbler2577

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 01:15:34 PM »
I was tickled to see and play calls that I've only ever read about, but the real treat was meeting the people.  Some real class acts in that place and I enjoyed every minute of it.  Mr. Rickey I pray you can recuperate from the trip and gain some strength.  I cannot wait for next year.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 01:51:03 PM »
I had a pleasure meeting you and conversing in the foyer! You got some real players for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline hunter22

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 03:19:23 PM »
I had a pleasure meeting you and conversing in the foyer! You got some real players for sure!

Donald....I sure enjoyed the visit with you and Shannon. I am always impressed but jealous of your trumpet playing skills.

Offline Britton40

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 03:22:43 PM »
As always, great seeing you Mr Ricky.

Offline hunter22

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 03:35:06 PM »
As always, great seeing you Mr Ricky.

My pleasure. I always enjoy seeing and talking to you and Steve Mann. Those two boxes of yours I ran out in the lobby were smoking. Mr. Mann has taught you well. You guys were on my hit list for Saturday morning but I could not walk when I got up and did not come up to the auditorium.

Offline Britton40

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 03:45:35 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. I sold all of mine on Friday. I had a great time as usual.

Offline Matt k

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 07:51:00 PM »
Lamar’s cost scratch box was bad a**!

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 08:12:39 PM »

Donald....I sure enjoyed the visit with you and Shannon. I am always impressed but jealous of your trumpet playing skills.

Thank you for the kind words. I am humbled.

“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer