OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

need help with Billy Bush Beggin Macheine PLEASE!

Started by adkmountainken, February 24, 2019, 04:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adkmountainken

received a call from Billy Bush, his Beggin Machine that i know people LOVE! i know its a great call from all the reviews and people that swear by them but i am struggling myself.  the lid is very light which i am not use to and just can not seem to make it "sing". i can yelp fine with it but i really need help "running" this call from A to Z. could someone PLEASE make a video of them playing theirs and post it here for me? i will also call Billy for some more tips. i have a couple guys helping me out know but really would love to see a video.

Sir-diealot

You may have to loosen the screw just a tad, I have had to do that with a call or two.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

dwcim

Billy makes a great call. When he sends the call to the owner it is tuned to his perfection. Never turn the screw to adjust the lid height it will change the pitch, front end and back end of the call. A good turkey call is designed and tuned as an instrument used to mimic the sounds of a turkey. You have to be patient and learn how the call wants to be played.

idratherb

Ive yet to find a short or long box with as many different turkeys in it as his do.

crow

Quote from: dwcim on February 25, 2019, 10:05:21 AM
Billy makes a great call. When he sends the call to the owner it is tuned to his perfection. Never turn the screw to adjust the lid height it will change the pitch, front end and back end of the call. A good turkey call is designed and tuned as an instrument used to mimic the sounds of a turkey. You have to be patient and learn how the call wants to be played.

Don't touch that Screw, it wouldn't of left his house if it wasn't tuned

Unlike most paddle calls His call has a spring in it, don't over can't the paddle when your getting used to it

the osage has a lot of natural rasp in it, if you want less rasp put your fingers on the very end of the paddle.
the same method Snozz shows on his Vimeo.

Call Billy and talk to him

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Quote from: dwcim on February 25, 2019, 10:05:21 AM
Exactly!
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

adkmountainken

thank you all very much for the help! doing a lot better know, switched to slower, shorter strokes and it really helped.  switching finger pressure like in the Snozz video really unleashed a few turkeys as well. got a long way to go but this call will definitly be another tool in the belt for those Gobblers!

paboxcall

Good to hear you're getting the hang of it - it is a different style long box, its lighter and taller than the conventional / traditional Cost style long boxes. As mentioned it has the spring, and its a short stroke. And I call it the Stradivarius of long boxes for a reason, as idratherb describes. Its just got incredible range and tone.

As good as it sounds up close get away from it in the woods and the sound just jumps with realism. Turkeys agree.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

hunter22

Hold the lid handle lightly between the thumb and forefinger and make short strokes. Run it with as little pressure as possible. It is not a call that you try to beat the rails off of.

SwampChickenSC

"some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

boatpaddle

Billies calls have a bunch of assorted turkey sounds built in....

Each sound board should have least a minimum of 3 turkeys....

Higher sounds toward the screw end of the call with your fingers at the end of the lid....

Medium pitch is found at middle of the sound board.
Fingers are at beaver tail end of the lid...You can add a deeper tone & rasp by moving your fingers forward on the handle to the area, just in front of the beaver tail...

Jake /gobbler talk is at the back end with your fingers just in front of the beavertail.

To get more rasp out of the mid- range, just slide your fingers forward on the lid about an inch...

Another way to get rasp is to turn the call on its side & SLOWLY lower the screw end of the call down toward the ground using very light pressure between the lid & the call, while softly yelping...

To get even more back end out of your yelps, just lift the lid off the sound board near the end of each stroke..Again light down pressure is key...

To cluck, turn the call, so the left sound board is facing up.  Place your thumb on top of the lid & your index finger under the lid...

Rickey P, you'll have turn the right side up, being your a southpaw....

Pop the lid into the soundboard with a short stroke....
Learn how to find the higher & lower sounding clucks with the tilting of the lid into the sound board using different stroke pressure. ..

I hope, this information helps you to Master the sounds of your Buuuuussshhh call...

Feel to PM, if I can help or if you have any questions. ..

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

paboxcall

Wow - there you have it from Boatpaddle, the key to unlock all those feathers Billy builds into his box calls!
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer