OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Trumpet for a beginner

Started by skimerhorn, January 11, 2019, 09:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skimerhorn

I love my pot and box calls and have gotten some good ones from great call makers. I want to give trumpets a try. Can anyone suggest a user friendly trumpet for a beginner if there is such a thing? I dont know anything about them but I want to learn. Thanks

NCL

I just started down the trumpet road but I have two from Twyatt that were very reasonably prices. I also have one from Joe Slaton that seems very easy to play, I probably should say when I got the Slaton I had been practicing so that may have had some  effect.

savduck

Get a coffee cup stirring straw. Practice with that first. Cup it in your hands.

After that there is a bunch of choices. Starting out If recommend Brian Mero. Multiple Turpin award winner and his trumpets are still proceed for the hunter. They are easy to run.
Georgia Boy

davisd9

Shag Hill Custom Calls has some beautiful, easy running trumpets at Unicoi. They are top notch with a great price. Kenny Pedelahore is awesome trumpet builder but that will come with a long wait unless you run across someone selling one. Can never go wrong with a Buice but it is an investment. Misfire has some excellent trumpets at Unicoi, I prefer his 2 mouthpiece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Chris O

There are many great choices, do yourself a favor and buy only one and play it for a solid year before you buy another one. I wish I would have done this but the addiction got to me and now I have quite a few calls and my collection is still growing. I love playing all of my calls but they are all different to some degree . I am still learning myself but feel I am getting better. I have plenty of confidence for hunting now.

EZ

Quote from: Chris O on January 12, 2019, 09:49:15 PM
I am still learning myself but feel I am getting better. I have plenty of confidence for hunting now.

Just saw a clip of your running a wingbone..... you're definitely sounding good!!!

Chris O

Thanks Tony, I hope I do all the calls I post justice. I would love to hear you sometime . I love hearing other people play especially the ones with some time under their belt. Thanks again for the kind words

wchadw

Buice delrin or misfire acrylic. Sound great, easy to learn on, good for all weather hunting. If you can't get the hang of it, easy to sell

wchadw

Quote from: davisd9 on January 12, 2019, 07:27:35 PM
Shag Hill Custom Calls has some beautiful, easy running trumpets at Unicoi. They are top notch with a great price. Kenny Pedelahore is awesome trumpet builder but that will come with a long wait unless you run across someone selling one. Can never go wrong with a Buice but it is an investment. Misfire has some excellent trumpets at Unicoi, I prefer his 2 mouthpiece.

X2 on KP. Hard to come by though. They run easy.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Chris O on January 12, 2019, 09:49:15 PM
There are many great choices, do yourself a favor and buy only one and play it for a solid year before you buy another one.
Good advice right there
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?