OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Chokes and barrel length  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Chokes and barrel length
« on: January 10, 2019, 10:03:26 PM »
Here’s one I don’t say I’ve ever seen tested nor heard anyone talk about and I’m thinking it has some bearing on the outcome. Lots of guys ask for choke advice. We all know varying shot sizes like dif choke constrictions. But has anyone checked barrel length with chokes. I’d think a longer barrel has got to allow stringing out of shot even if very slightly. I’d bet that matters.
I know w at least some loads, the ones I’ve tested, longer barrels often pattern very well yet all the rage is short barrels.
Think about something 4” of barrel, something that guys really sweat, I’d bet almost never if ever has any bearing on making a shot. If longer is better it’d not be worth the sacrifice.
Today’s turkey loads have lots of “tricks” in em to keep patterns from blowing up but I’m curious if anyone has actually done a barrel length test as in same gun/choke combo in dif length barrels and what the results were? Want to add obviously I’m referring here to the tight turkey chokes
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 10:19:25 PM by Bowguy »

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
Re: Chokes and barrel length
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 06:21:35 AM »
For what it’s worth, I have a 835 with a 24” tube and bought a 935 with a 26. I wish I’d bought it in 22. No difference in performance. My 11-87 with a 21 inch barrel shoots right there with Donald’s 26 inch 11-87 and we share chokes for testing.  In fact I think my stubby tube out shot his with Hevi 7’s.

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 08:21:49 AM »
For what it’s worth, I have a 835 with a 24” tube and bought a 935 with a 26. I wish I’d bought it in 22. No difference in performance. My 11-87 with a 21 inch barrel shoots right there with Donald’s 26 inch 11-87 and we share chokes for testing.  In fact I think my stubby tube out shot his with Hevi 7’s.

It did out preform with the Hevi 7s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 08:55:26 AM »
Interesting. I’m not for sure if those guns are the same as all w the over sized barrels. Maybe they are though. Like I said I do know turkey loads came a long way in the truck dept.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 10:20:14 AM »
The 835/935 are the same over sized barrels. I agree, if you are shooting HTL, barrel length is nearly irreverent.

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 05:04:10 PM »
Go to NITRO website. They have info on barrel length. I the pattern recommendations they used to have different chokes for Remington 22"24" barrels. Haven't looked lately.

Online Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 08:14:44 AM »
With standard, conventional lead turkey loads, a drop in constriction of .005" in barrels 22" and less will nearly always be to your advantage.   Example.......  If you're shooting lead 5's in an 870 Rem with a 26" barrel through a .660" tube with best results, a .655" tube will nearly always be best in a 21" 870 Turkey with the same shell.

I have not tested this tendency with HTL or Longbeard XR technology, so cannot speak to that.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 02:11:27 PM »
With standard, conventional lead turkey loads, a drop in constriction of .005" in barrels 22" and less will nearly always be to your advantage.   Example.......  If you're shooting lead 5's in an 870 Rem with a 26" barrel through a .660" tube with best results, a .655" tube will nearly always be best in a 21" 870 Turkey with the same shell.

I have not tested this tendency with HTL or Longbeard XR technology, so cannot speak to that.
Interesting

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 02:14:18 PM »
Go to NITRO website. They have info on barrel length. I the pattern recommendations they used to have different chokes for Remington 22"24" barrels. Haven't looked lately.
Thanks and I mean that but I’m very anti nitro. Had a friend blow to barrels and two other friends needing rods to push spent shells out of gun. Too much pressure for me. I don’t need a turkey so bad I’d risk what they recommend.