OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Best load for old fixed choke guns  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Nate K

Best load for old fixed choke guns
« on: January 10, 2019, 11:12:04 AM »
This is probably a long shot but here goes:

I have an older Ithaca M37 20 gauge with a 28" fixed full barrel that I would like to try and bag at least one turkey with this year. Obviously I will be limited on range compared to my M2 but that's kind of the point.

Do you guys have any advice on different loads (2 3/4" only) I should try from this old gun? I figured for now I'm just going to try as many different loads of lead #5s and #6s and go with what has the most even pattern at a reasonable range but any info would be great!

Also, any warnings on what not to shoot through an older gun would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Offline roverboy

Re: Best load for old fixed choke guns
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 06:41:59 PM »
My brother in law used to hunt with an old Remington M41 pump 20 gauge. It had a standard fixed full choke. He used to used  1 ounce loads with 5 or 6 shot. It only had a 2 3/4" chamber too. I know it don't sound like much but, he killed at least 8 or 10 birds with it. He didn't take shots over about 35 yards. Federal makes a 2 3/4 Wing-Shok load with 1 1/8 oz.
Listen for the gobble

CrustyRusty

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 01:20:22 PM »
Winchester make a load called the Super Pheasant I believe.  May want to check that out

Offline Deputy 14

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 07:22:28 PM »
I’d bet some of the flight control was shells from Federal should pattern pretty decent.

Offline daddyduke

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 01:24:56 PM »
Had good luck with Federal Game-Shok 2 3/4 #6s.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 06:43:06 PM »
Had good luck with Federal Game-Shok 2 3/4 #6s.

X2
I've hade good luck with these shells myself
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Offline pdaugherty

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 03:35:35 PM »
If you've got an older gun that you want great performance out of I would try the Hevi-Shot classic doubles. They're a great load that works well with older guns. I've shot some of the #6s in my dads old 16ga and they performed great, plus it's a HTL load too.

Offline kyhareraiser

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 10:57:05 AM »
are these shells a 3” shell or 2 3/4? sounds like what i’m looking for

Offline Takeaim1st

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 07:08:16 AM »
Nate K, Sir.   An Ithaca model 37 featherlight 20 gage - 2 3/4 inch chamber is the shotgun I hunt with. I use Federal Heavyweight # 7 in it . The little gun has taken many gobblers.  It is a pleasure to carry due to the light weight. It patterns very well, at least out to 30 yds. That is the farthest distance I have ever shot it for patterns.  I have never taken a gobbler past 27 yds. , most have been less than 25 yds. The topography  where I hunt is ridges and hollows, I try to setup so that when a gobbler comes in, He is in my comfort zone for making the shot. I purchased several boxes of the Federal heavyweight 7 , from Rodgers sporting goods, on line,  a couple weeks ago, as they have discontinued production of them and now manufacture the TSS shells. If the Heavyweights are still available the price has been reduced.