OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Advice on decoy setup

Started by ugaDAWGS09, January 09, 2019, 09:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugaDAWGS09

I'm looking for advice on the best way to setup my turkey decoys. I have an Avian-X breeder hen and half strut jake. Thanks.

Gobble!

I only carry a decoy when hunting a field/known open strut zone on a long sit. In those instances I use a gobbler and a hen if its early in the season or a lone hen in the middle/later part of the season. A gobbler will typically approach a gobbler decoy from the front so place your decoy facing the location you want to shoot the gobbler.

I relied heavily on decoys my first 10 or so years of hunting. Since leaving them at home, 95% of the time, my success rate has skyrocketed. Maybe that's because I commonly used a gobbler decoy I don't know. I'm a firm believer in setting up so that the gobbler will be within gun range when hes first visible vs setting up so a gobbler will see your decoys and come within range. I don't hunt flat land very often.

I do like watching birds come running into a gobbler decoy but I like killing birds much more.

RutnNStrutn

Breeder hen and a jake?
No brainer.
Jake over hen. Wait for the gobblers to get mad.

MK M GOBL

Well by the 2 decoys you have are paired as a setup, only thing I would think of is placement.

For me, when I am using decoys having the right decoy set goes along with where you are in the breeding cycle, time of season, the bird you are hunting and where you are setting up. I/We have killed more birds over a "White Headed" Gobbler decoy I designed/developed and using a decoys "right" is a definite skill set.

MK M GOBL

Harty

ell by the 2 decoys you have are paired as a setup, only thing I would think of is placement.

For me, when I am using decoys having the right decoy set goes along with where you are in the breeding cycle, time of season, the bird you are hunting and where you are setting up. I/We have killed more birds over a "White Headed" Gobbler decoy I designed/developed and using a decoys "right" is a definite skill set.

I have not done well with decoys. Never have used a gobbler. Just hens and Jakes. What skill sets do I need develop?

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Harty on January 24, 2019, 09:07:03 PM
Well by the 2 decoys you have are paired as a setup, only thing I would think of is placement.

I have not done well with decoys. Never have used a gobbler. Just hens and Jakes. What skill sets do I need develop?

Hey Harty,

I have an entire thread on this, if you have other specific questions let me know always willing to help. You can always PM me too.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,70971.0.html

MK M GOBL

Harty

Thanks! I'll disect the thread.

Ranger

All I know about setups is anytime decoy Gobblers are mentioned MK GOBL is going to tell you about his White Headed Gobbler design, experimentation, and mastery.  Fact. For non-gobbler specific decoy setup advice I saw where previously Phillips had mentioned combining gobblers and jakes in the same setup with hens for a curiosity-driven scenario for your elusive Tom, and with great success
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Gooserbat

I usually leave mine in the truck. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Ranger on January 24, 2019, 11:55:04 PM
All I know about setups is anytime decoy Gobblers are mentioned MK GOBL is going to tell you about his White Headed Gobbler design, experimentation, and mastery.  Fact. For non-gobbler specific decoy setup advice I saw where previously Phillips had mentioned combining gobblers and jakes in the same setup with hens for a curiosity-driven scenario for your elusive Tom, and with great success

Got to say I use them all and none of them at times, it all depends on my set and hunt. From run & guns to bow hunts and first time hunters. If you read through my post(s) you would see my experience with all of these decoys and their use at certain times of the year. And yes when people ask about experience with a "Gobbler" decoy I do share that. If someone were to ask about a "Jake & Hen" set I speak to that or if looking late season and a "single hen" set, and of course if they choose no decoy I have experience with that as well. Dead birds don't talk... And the White Head is a Killer!

Always looking to help someone out when I can

MK M GOBL

Harty

Is a Gobbler" set up most effective early in the season or more towards the end?

MK M GOBL

So for "most" effective, Yes

As far as effective I/we have used a strutter from seasons open until seasons close with success. In early season sets when we have birds that still maybe in "winter" flocks and have not broken up yet where you have large groups of mixed birds together I make my set to match the season. In a early season set I may have as many as 6 decoys out, this would include (I'll refer to the DSD's I have) and I do have a set of "rules" I go by when I make my sets. Social structure/dominance in the flock plays a key role in these sets by setting your most "dominant" decoy closest to your position, whether that be a strutter, jake or hen and each of them can be the dominant decoy dependent on your set. This is where I talk about hunting decoys "right". There is also is some of this to setting your "subs" in this too. Both in the male/female flock a daily pecking order exists and can change.

Strutter (White Headed)
3/4 Strut Jake
Upright Hen
Feeding Hen
Leading Hen
Submissive Hen "Breeding"

(First picture is of an "early" season gobbler flock (5) before winter breakup, I have and labeled their social structure)
Keys here are Head Color, Head Tilt, Snood and Body Position.
(Second pic is of that set and success, I had my "White Head" out with a 3/4 strut jake set as a sub and 3 hens in this set)
This was a WI 1st season archery hunt!

If/as you have more questions just let me know and can go from there.

MK M GOBL

Harty

MK M GOBL

Makes sense. I'm told spacing is very important. I've been keeping a breading hen about 10 yds from a quarter strut Jake and placing feeding hens about 20 yds from them. Jake is closet to me.This is first period . I don't have a mature strutter. Am I on the right track?

TRG3

After 30+ years of turkey hunting, it's been my experience that in the early season, I'm more likely to take a subordinate gobbler than a dominate bird. I think the reason is that the dominate birds have all the hens they want while the subordinate ones are kept in line through intimidation by the dominate one(s) via the peck order. While the subordinate gobblers hang out with the flock, they will sneak off to investigate your hen calls since they too want to breed. They seem to be torn between the desire to breed and the fear of retaliation from the dominate gobbler(s) if they are caught. Therefore, it is important that when they show up to check out your calls that they are not intimidated by your decoy spread; however, I've noticed that the more subordinate birds that show up, the bolder they seem in moving forward to check out your set up. In the early seasons, I've had success with a full strut decoy but more success with the Funky Chicken. In the late season, it's been my experience that the dominate gobbler may be the only one still seeking hens. This is my favorite season to hunt since it can be the most challenging, i.e. last year when it took 2 1/2 hours to convince him that I was a gobbler intruding in his territory and after a receptive hen. He finally decided that his gobbling was not going to entice the hen to leave the intruder (me) and come to him. When he changed his mind, he came in on a dead run and got head to head with my Funky Chicken. To summarize all of this, a gobbler responding to your calls has the peck order in mind and needs to feel that he can better the tom decoy that he sees with the hens that he wants. Be sure to set your gobbler decoy in a position that offers you the shot you have pre-determined that you want to take. Best of luck in the coming seasons.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Harty on January 26, 2019, 10:26:15 AM
MK M GOBL

Makes sense. I'm told spacing is very important. I've been keeping a breading hen about 10 yds from a quarter strut Jake and placing feeding hens about 20 yds from them. Jake is closet to me.This is first period . I don't have a mature strutter. Am I on the right track?

I do Jake/hen sets as well, depends on my hunt. But for what I guessing are you in a blind or run & gun? In the blind the game gets tight. I would have my Jake set at 15yards and to your strong side and the breeding hen about within a couple yards. usually to right of jake from my position. The second hen can be set 10 yards or so away, but do not place more than 20 yards from you, predominately the tom will go to the Jake decoy to deal with him first, but I have had them walk right past on to the hens back.

If you have more just ask,

MK M GOBL