turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Mexico Hunting Trip

Started by ThunderChicken09, January 08, 2019, 11:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThunderChicken09

Hello to all! We're planning on making a trip to New Mexico to chase after some merriams in the mountains. I'm new to out of state hunting and was wondering if I gcould get some advice? First, I was thinking either the Lincoln or Gila national forests. Is there an obvious choice or are both equally great? Also which part of the season would you target? Be in the woods on opening week or mid to late season? I would appreciate the help! Thanks in advance.

Sir-diealot

I'm of no help but just wanted to say welcome to the site.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Gooserbat

I hunted the Lincoln a couple years ago.   Found birds, and a lot of steep hillsides.  never hunted the Gila.  you might also want to consider SW Colorado.  I've hunted it too and there was a good population then.  that was about 6 years ago.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ThunderChicken09

misfire

I hunted the Lincoln several years ago. Get in shape!!!! Them hills are steep and huge. I am a flatlander, live on Georgia coast. Where I hunted was 9500' above sea level. Rough on an old fart like me. Second, the wind BLOWS!!!! HARD!!!! be prepared for that too. Take a crow call, they will gobble at a crow at 2am, darndest thing. I hunted there in May, birds were still henned up, but workable. Beautiful scenery, enjoy that.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

ThunderChicken09

Thanks a lot man! Been exercising a lot here lately! Being in Arkansas I wanted to plan this thing out as best as I could. Sounds like a mid to late arrival should work just fine! Which is good. Some of the guys couldn't make it until May.

LI Outdoorsman

I would suggest you arrive a couple days early if possible no matter how good a shape your in you will need a few days to acclimate.
its definitely a shock to someone who's not used to that elevation

kennedyh1990

Quote from: ThunderChicken09 on January 09, 2019, 06:03:36 PM
Thanks a lot man! Been exercising a lot here lately! Being in Arkansas I wanted to plan this thing out as best as I could. Sounds like a mid to late arrival should work just fine! Which is good. Some of the guys couldn't make it until May.

Glad to see a fellow Arkansan on here! Good luck on your trip! A couple of buddies and me took a trip to KS last year and camped out and hunted public ground. We've vowed to take at least one trip together every year because it was so much fun. I've elk hunted the Gila. Looks like it would have a lot of birds in it.