OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Apex and H & R 20 ga.  (Read 1667 times)

Offline chatterbox

• Long Spur Gobbler
Apex and H & R 20 ga.
« on: January 08, 2019, 04:39:44 PM »
Hey guys!

I just ordered a box of Apex #9 20 for my H & R 20.
I have a fixed modified barrel, and was wondering if anybody had any patterns or experience with this shell and barrel combo.

Thanks!

Offline Lone Star Eastern

Re: Apex and H & R 20 ga.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2023, 11:09:20 PM »
Curious to know if you ever patterned this? I have a NEF Pardner 20 ga with a fixed modified choke that I’d like to put TSS through. I patterned it at 20 yards with pheasant shot, and was pleasantly surprised. I wish I would have gone ahead and shot it at 30-40 to see what that would look like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Remturkey

Re: Apex and H & R 20 ga.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2023, 12:49:36 AM »
I set my son up a H&R youth model with a 22" modified choke to start out when he was 8. I polished the barrel good and drilled and tapped it and put a red dot on it.  Back then there wasn't too many choices for TSS and I settled on the Federal reduced recoil load of 1.5oz of #9's.  Yesterday he killed his 5th bird with this combo and it knocks them flat. With the modified choke it throws a very even forgiving pattern at 25 and still puts plenty in the 19" at 40.  Three years ago I misjudged a field bird that was getting ready to leave, I thought 45 and told him to shoot and he dropped him on the spot. We we ranged it later it was 51, not condoning it but I was definitely impressed .

I did try some Apex Ninjas in it last year and the pattern at 25 was a touch better than the Federals but the 40 was nearly identical and the Apex definitely kicked noticeably more so I stuck with them since it's primarily my son's gun.  Not gonna lie though, I find myself grabbing that little thing more and more lately because it's so handy and shoots good