OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

First time flying with shotgun

Started by backwater, January 07, 2019, 12:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spurs Up

As long as you are not flying through or to JFK or LGA, you should experience no difficulty. If you are, take an attorney and bail money...

Delta in the last 1-2 years has begun requiring all firearms be picked up at your destination's baggage claims office (rather than at the baggage carousel).  While that may take a few extra minutes, the peace of mind that secure chain of custody provides is well worth the added wait (if any).

Rather than disassemble and risk POI changes with my optics, I transport my shotguns fully assembled  in a full-size (52") Pelican case. Knock-on-wood, I've never had to pay over sized luggage surcharges or encountered difficulty with TSA inspectors. And, I routinely pack shells in the same case.

backwater

Thanks for all the replies.   Sounds like it won't be as bad as it first appeared.  Come on spring.

g8rvet

I have flown to Canada a bunch, usually Delta.  The only problem has been TSA and Canada Customs in Toronto.  Major pain, will never fly through there again.

Your case (I have Pelican) should NOT be locked with TSA locks.  If someone tells you that, they have not read the rules. It clearly states you should be the only one able to open them.  Get a badge plate (from Pelican) or paint your cell phone number on the outside of the case so TSA can call you to open it, once it leaves your immediate supervision.  This is the single best piece of advice I was given by guys that fly, a lot, with firearms.  Also, someone above said fill all the holes.  2 years ago, this became a point of emphasis with TSA - it should be locked so you can't slip anything in or out.  Fill all the locking holes and you will be fine. 

It is really not a big deal. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

backwater

ChiefBubba

Quote from: g8rvet on January 10, 2019, 05:52:37 PM
I have flown to Canada a bunch, usually Delta.  The only problem has been TSA and Canada Customs in Toronto.  Major pain, will never fly through there again.

Your case (I have Pelican) should NOT be locked with TSA locks.  If someone tells you that, they have not read the rules. It clearly states you should be the only one able to open them.  Get a badge plate (from Pelican) or paint your cell phone number on the outside of the case so TSA can call you to open it, once it leaves your immediate supervision.  This is the single best piece of advice I was given by guys that fly, a lot, with firearms.  Also, someone above said fill all the holes.  2 years ago, this became a point of emphasis with TSA - it should be locked so you can't slip anything in or out.  Fill all the locking holes and you will be fine. 

It is really not a big deal.

This is good advice. If it has a hole for a lock put a lock on it. I carry an extra lock with me in case one goes missing. TSA lost a lock on mine one year and I had to buy a crappy TSA lock from the airport.

Vet how's it going? How's your duck season? I haven't been out yet. Bubba

WW

TSA lost one of my 4 locks on my Pelican case last year also. It's a pain locking and unlocking 4 locks every single time I go through TSA...

Spurs Up

"Get a badge plate (from Pelican) or paint your cell phone number on the outside of the case so TSA can call you to open it, once it leaves your immediate supervision.  This is the single best piece of advice I was given by guys that fly, a lot, with firearms."

I've never had occasion for TSA to call me, but rather than paint my case or bother to glue on a badge plate I use a sturdy luggage tag with contact info including cell phone number. What am I missing?

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: Spurs Up on January 11, 2019, 07:24:47 PM
I've never had occasion for TSA to call me, but rather than paint my case or bother to glue on a badge plate I use a sturdy luggage tag with contact info including cell phone number. What am I missing?
I've been called back once, in Charleston SC.  Had gone through security and was waiting at the gate when I got the call.  They were nice about it and met me on the secure side so I wouldn't have to go back through.  Like you, I have my cell phone number on a luggage tag.  If you are traveling with a firearm, having TSA pre-check does give some added comfort in the rare event you have to go back out.

eggshell

I will restate what others said about ammo...have ammo boxes and don't forget a shell in a vest or pocket, We got called to TSA office because my buddy left a couple shells in a vest. Lucky they let me uncase binoculars and put the shells in the optics case. We always open our actions and put zip ties through them, holding them open,  and they seem to like that. Again use your own locks not theirs. My buddy got an empty case back once...never recovered his gun, it was a mess. One last thing, at the baggage office ask them if you can open it to check for damage, they may say ok and they may say no....seems every airport is different.

backwater

Lots of great information.    Thank you.   Will definitely put a luggage tag with my cell number.

Sir-diealot

What exactly is a TSA lock and what are the pros and cons of using them? Thanks.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

backwater

Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 12, 2019, 12:38:49 PM
What exactly is a TSA lock and what are the pros and cons of using them? Thanks.
To my understanding, it's a lock that the TSA actually have a master key to should they decide it is necessary to get into the gun case.   

ChiefBubba

Yes it's a lock TSA can open. It's about the crappest lock ever. Cheapest thing I've ever seen. Use your own locks. With guns Once you have TSA inspect it no one should open or be able to open your case. Bubba

Sir-diealot

Quote from: backwater on January 12, 2019, 07:32:44 PM
To my understanding, it's a lock that the TSA actually have a master key to should they decide it is necessary to get into the gun case.

Quote from: ChiefBubba on January 12, 2019, 08:03:04 PM

Yes it's a lock TSA can open. It's about the crappest lock ever. Cheapest thing I've ever seen. Use your own locks. With guns Once you have TSA inspect it no one should open or be able to open your case. Bubba

Thank you both.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

g8rvet

Quote from: Spurs Up on January 11, 2019, 07:24:47 PM
"Get a badge plate (from Pelican) or paint your cell phone number on the outside of the case so TSA can call you to open it, once it leaves your immediate supervision.  This is the single best piece of advice I was given by guys that fly, a lot, with firearms."

Not really missing anything, just that something can go wrong when your case is getting thrown like a Scottish caber toss-things get broke!  :)  If you have a pelican, the plate is free - you just fill out a card and they send you it back engraved like you like it-there is a slot for it and it can't be removed unless the case is opened.  I got a nice brass one.  It will last as long as the case.  Same for a painted phone number on it.  But you are right, as long as your tag does not come off, you should be fine.  I just don't want to miss a flight!

I have been called once and had to come back to TSA area.

Terrible Chief, I have only been a handful of times and not much happening. So much to do with a hurricane immediately followed by daughter's wedding that I have not had much time for anything else.  Did not even make my Canada trip this year since we were still without power at home and office.

TSA locks are junk and TSA has access.  I don't want anyone opening my case without me watching them - I value my over/under more than that.  The airlines broke one of my locks this year too.  I just get them keyed alike and have to only carry one key for all 4 locks.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.