OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: First time flying with shotgun  (Read 2430 times)

Offline backwater

First time flying with shotgun
« on: January 07, 2019, 12:31:08 PM »
Hello all.   We are flying from Florida to Kansas this spring for our first out of state hunt.   I have read lots of previous posts that has some great information.  I understand that each individual airline can be different when interpreting the TSA gun rules.  Is any one airline better or worse to select when traveling with a gun?    Thanks for any advice you would be willing to give me.
Ray

Offline wade

Re: First time flying with shotgun
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 01:19:00 PM »
I have a Plano AW Tactical case. The gun has to be taken apart but it requires no oversize baggage fees. An additional benefit is that when the TSA and or airport employees see the gun in 2 pieces it eases their minds. Beyond that, all I got is be early.
Do it outdoors

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 02:13:01 PM »
Southwest gets high marks from me.  No problems at all. I like that they allow ammunition in the same case as the firearm.  I also appreciate their policy of rescheduling flights without a change fee. 

Offline backwater

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 04:42:46 PM »
Thanks for the quick responses.   That is in fact the case I have ordered.   I have always heard good things about Southwest Airlines but have never flown with a gun.
Ray

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 05:10:50 PM »
Delta has never given me any problems....way easier than you think it would be. 

Offline wade

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 09:09:58 AM »
In my limited experience every airport is different. I’ve flown Delta, American and United. As was said not as hard as it seems. It might ease your mind to call the airport you are flying out of and just ask. That is what I did the first 2 times I flew with a firearm.
Do it outdoors

Offline dejake

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 09:31:12 AM »
Airlines aren't the problem.  It's the TSA agents at the airport that don't know the rules.  Philadelphia is the worst!

Offline misfire

• Double Beard
    • Misfire Game Calls, custom duck and turkey calls
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 09:56:31 AM »
I fly every year, always on Southwest. Never had a problem with them, but sometimes the TSA agents have no freaking clue. They are the ones who may cause problems.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Offline ddturkeyhunter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 11:04:19 AM »
Delta has never given me any problems....way easier than you think it would be.
I have used Delta five times Now from MPLS MN to Orlando Florida. Last year was the easiest not sure if because TSA was more organized or what. Your gun is checked as if its one piece of luggage, thats my free bage with delta and then I have a carrie on and backpack. You go to checkin, open it up to show them and declare its empty, then they lead you to the TSA xray scan. This is where it changes off and on sometimes. Some times in past they had me reopen the case. Last year they told me to lock it or what ever I needed to do to it yet, and then stand there and wait till he ran it through the machine, he would waive to me when good to go. Last year he told me that I could put anykind of lock I wanted to put on it that it didnt need to be TSA approved locks. I suppose they would cut them off if they did think there was a problem anyway. I have TSA locks the only thing I do is when he says he done looking inside, I have a roll of Duct tape with and I put about three wraps, all the way around it on both ends. Just incase someones haveing a bad day and takes it out on my gun case, and if the tape is broke I know someone was inside it. With Delta you also can have two boxes of shells but must be factory boxes. Always interesting in 2009 the first time down my gun came out with the rest of the luggage. Everysince you will find it at the luggage service counter where all the golf clubs come out.

Offline wade

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 06:23:17 AM »
Something it took me 2 trips to figure out. Take a soft case so you can put the gun in a case while traveling from cabin, camp, or motel to hunting area. Without taking your gun apart.
Do it outdoors

Offline backwater

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 06:55:20 AM »
 Great information guys, I appreciate all the responses.   We booked with Southwest and will definitely call the Tampa airport before our trip.    Looking forward to hunting in a different state.    We pretty much only hunt Swamp bottoms so Kansas should be interesting.
Thanks,    Ray

Offline backwater

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 06:56:54 AM »
Something it took me 2 trips to figure out. Take a soft case so you can put the gun in a case while traveling from cabin, camp, or motel to hunting area. Without taking your gun apart.
Never thought about that Wade.  Will have to look into that.

Offline jblackburn

• Paintbrush Beard
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 12:40:04 PM »
I just flew with a gun (muzzleloader) last month on Southwest and it was a lot easier than I thought.  Obviously the gun has to be i a locked case, mine is a Plano. My advice is to use the locks on the case (if it has them) AND padlocks in EVERY hole. Be sure the case cannot open even a fraction of an inch or TSA may balk.

You also have declare the firearm when you check in. Don't just walk up and say "I have a gun", say "I have a firearm to declare". They will have you open the case to put a check slip in with the gun, then re-lock the case and take it to TSA. TSA will X-Ray and will either say you're good to go or they will have you open the case to ensure it is unloaded. I disassembled my gun so they could easily tell it was unloaded. They had no issues.

As far as ammo, TSA regulations say you can bring up to 11 pounds (yes, pounds) of loaded ammo in either the original box or a container designed for ammo. Per TSA you can actually included the ammo in the locked case with the gun, however each airline has their own rules on this so you will want to research that. It may be easier to buy ammo in Kansas or ship it somewhere if you have that ability if your airline has stricter regulations.

When you arrive your case may come out in the "oversized" baggage section. I was the last one at baggage claim and I began to get real nervous when mine never came out on the carousel, but they called my name over the intercom to come get it.

Good luck!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Offline jblackburn

• Paintbrush Beard
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 12:41:59 PM »
Great information guys, I appreciate all the responses.   We booked with Southwest and will definitely call the Tampa airport before our trip.    Looking forward to hunting in a different state.    We pretty much only hunt Swamp bottoms so Kansas should be interesting.
Thanks,    Ray

It will be! The first time I hunted Kansas I didn't think there could be a turkey within 100 miles of me - open terrain, wheat fields, very few trees, but we kill the crap out of them and have done so several times, all on public land
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 03:16:19 PM »
I've only traveled once with a firearm and as others have said follow the TSA/airline rules and you'll be fine.  The only issue I ran into was we got our outbound flight times incorrect and were running late and we were hastily trying to get on the flight, our sense of urgency raised some red flags while checking in my shotgun and I was asked ALOT of questions that I was not asked on the flight in.  Once we got on the plane and I relaxed it clicked, they thought I was up to no good.  They wanted to know what I had been hunting, where I had been hunting, what gauge my shotgun was, what kind of ammo I was using, how many rounds it would hold, all while wiping my shotgun and case down with a circular pad.  I later realized they we checking for any kind of residue and were making sure I was legit.  My advice is don't just be on time be EARLY so you don't go thru what I did.