OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Youth shell recommendation  (Read 2142 times)

Offline outdoorsmen

Youth shell recommendation
« on: January 06, 2019, 10:50:16 PM »
Looking for a shell that will not hurt my son this youth season. Shooting an 870 18" with red dot. I have an IC tube. I was thinking a 1oz load of 6s 2.75". Or a 1.25oz non mag if there is one.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
Re: Youth shell recommendation
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 06:30:22 AM »
https://www.hevishot.com/catalog/magnum-blend-reduced-recoil/

Never used them, but they might be worth looking into.

http://visitwww.winchesterle.com/Products/shotshell-ammunition/Performance/Super-X-Shotshell/Pages/XU20H7.aspx

These are light recoiling, but I’d make sure the bird was inside 20 yards.

Offline albrubacker

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 08:33:18 PM »
Rogers has some 2 ¾" Fed HW https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/ammunition/shotgun-shells/turkey-load/federal-premium-mag-shok-heavyweight-turkey-shotshells-20ga-2-3-4-1-1-8oz-1100fps.html
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Offline dejake

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 07:32:46 AM »
I'm taking a 12 year old girl this spring.  My plan is for me to pattern with some "real' shells, then let her practice with light loads.  Come hunting time, I'll load the "real' shells.  With a live bird in front of her, she won't even notice the recoil! 
Is that a dumb plan?

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 07:50:05 AM »
I'm taking a 12 year old girl this spring.  My plan is for me to pattern with some "real' shells, then let her practice with light loads.  Come hunting time, I'll load the "real' shells.  With a live bird in front of her, she won't even notice the recoil! 
Is that a dumb plan?

That’s what I did with my kids.

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 08:12:15 AM »
How old is your son and how big is he? Both of my daughters have hunted with my 3' 11-87 and never said a word about the recoil form a 3' 2oz load. I'm sure they were caught up in the excitement of a gobbling and strutting bird. I would not submit them to just shooting that gun  and load combo off the bench.
Don't gobble at me...

Offline outdoorsmen

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 07:57:58 PM »
My son is 6 and about 50lbs. He did shoot a reduced recoil 20ga deer slug without issue at a deer.
I think I am going with Winchester 2.75" 1oz #6 heavy field load.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 09:29:33 PM »
I’d go with a smaller shot 7’s or 7.5’s. My reasoning is at any range that the 6’s will have enough pattern to kill the smaller shot will give you more room for error and still have plenty of energy. My son was 7 and was heavier. Either way the load you mentioned will work at modest ranges.

Offline Turkeyfever

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 09:14:26 PM »
The federal  2.75 HW #7 that Rogers has is exactly what I started my son with, they pattern great and he took his first bird with them. Great shell and easy on the recoil.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 05:38:09 AM »
Is that a dumb plan?
This is exactly what I do and on most years I take numerous kids. I also don’t let em shoot real far nor do I make the choke real tight. A nice usable pattern is what I go for. Now commonly federal mag shots are great. I think we’ve killed more birds w them than anything else but the heavy shot advice was good too. I have a 20 set up just for em. I don’t matter much though if you stay close. Everything is a compromise. Think bout something. A good patterning 40 yard load will be too tight up close for most young kids. A worry of a bird at 40 getting away isn’t worth the lack of wiggle to up closer.
Here’s a trick if the kid hasn’t shot. I personally use real light reloads for the kids to practice with but even than I use inner foam protectors w outer muffs. It deadens sound that much more and gun seems to kick less. Remember turkey loads aren’t wing shot, you’re leaning into gun so not too much even w that. Good luck to you both

Offline outdoorsmen

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 09:41:36 AM »
Yeah was thinking about using just a factory full choke, maybe mod. Keep it to a 30yd max, probably more like 20 at the decoys