OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Slugger firesight on 870  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Claybirdd

Slugger firesight on 870
« on: January 06, 2019, 05:21:53 PM »
     After reading such great reviews about Williams Fire sights, I ordered the slugger sights for my 21 inch 870.  I have the front sight all the way forward and rear sights all the way to the rear on the vent rib.  My gun is still shooting about 8-12 inches high at 40 yards and I have the elevation cranked all the way down.   
     Has anyone ever had this problem?  Can I order a taller front sight or shorter rear sight ramp?

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: Slugger firesight on 870
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 06:35:55 PM »
Never had this prob and don’t think you can order taller/shorter parts. It seems I never put them exactly at the rib end (receiver side). You’ll get more adjustment if the sights are closer. Does the rib taper and are you on that though?

Offline Claybirdd

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 11:04:51 PM »
Here is where I have it sitting. Still hitting 8-12 inches high at 40 yards.

Offline Claybirdd

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 11:08:06 PM »
The front sight is all the way forward

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 09:33:23 AM »
That is odd.  Now most the time the back sight needs to be around the end of the forearm.   That is because of the way your eyes see it.  One may be clear and one fussy
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline stinkpickle

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • "Milk was a bad choice!"
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 01:57:44 PM »
Yeah, that's odd.  Does it shoot high with just the bead?

Offline Claybirdd

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 07:58:46 PM »
Honestly idk.  I got my 21" barrel for Christmas and immediately put the williams sight on it.  That huge white bead just looked like it wasn't going to work.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 08:34:58 PM »
Stinkpicle question was good. Lots of birds were killed w a big white bead so don’t sweat it. Get a sheet and test w no sights

Offline Claybirdd

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 02:12:32 PM »
I took my gun out and shoot it a good bit with different shells and chokes, as well as with the soghts on and off.  It seems like it hits POA pretty consistently with 2.75" shells and some 3". 
  But when I shoot stout 3" loads POI seems to shift upwards.  My POA is the very bottom of my pattern so will just have to aim for where the neck meets the body I guess.  I wonder if a longer barrel would give me more adjustment with my rear sight?  Doesn't matter in the end, I love the manuverability of the 21" barrel.   
  I've thought about cutting and putting a .250" piece of stainless shimstock the width of my rib under the front sight and using 3/8" length screws instead of 1/4".  Thoughts?