OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Looking for advice on first pot call purchase  (Read 5852 times)

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Looking for advice on first pot call purchase
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2019, 02:52:37 PM »
Just wanted to tell everyone thanks for the advice.  I decided to buy 2 pots from a member on here,  a Stumpy Ceramic and Halloran Crystal Mistress.  May end up getting a green slate also but want to learn how to best condition and play these two pots before season.
Stumpy makes a great ceramic, you will be happy. Never owned one but I have heard nothing but good about the Halloran Crystal Mistress.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Footballer

• Longbeard
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2019, 05:42:27 PM »
Just wanted to tell everyone thanks for the advice.  I decided to buy 2 pots from a member on here,  a Stumpy Ceramic and Halloran Crystal Mistress.  May end up getting a green slate also but want to learn how to best condition and play these two pots before season.

You did good! The CM needs to be in some type of Call of Fame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ugaDAWGS09

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2019, 06:02:18 PM »

You did good! The CM needs to be in some type of Call of Fame.

What's your recommendation for conditioning the CM?

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2019, 06:27:29 PM »
It depends on surface condition. If it’s in need of a major touch up maybe a conditioning stone. If it’s already decent either sanding screen or sandpaper. But only in one direction. You play a call most times “against the grain” you’ve scratched in. Going back n forth rubs the grooves gone that’s not your wish.
Some guys go finer but I like 80-100 grit. I wouldn’t go less than 120 grit

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2019, 06:30:06 PM »
Stumpy is on here
Get in touch with him he will help ya
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline raven105

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2019, 06:48:02 PM »
It depends on surface condition. If it’s in need of a major touch up maybe a conditioning stone. If it’s already decent either sanding screen or sandpaper. But only in one direction. You play a call most times “against the grain” you’ve scratched in. Going back n forth rubs the grooves gone that’s not your wish.
Some guys go finer but I like 80-100 grit. I wouldn’t go less than 120 grit
This is good info.

Offline Swather

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2019, 03:51:22 PM »
I just started turkey hunting last season and was able to kill one good bird using a primos box call, but I'm looking to find a good all around pot call for this season.  I'm not sure if I should be looking for a slate or glass or what to buy?  Thanks for the help.

If you are anywhere in the northern half of Georgia, you should contact Lonnie Mabry in Canton, GA.  (770.479.3352).  Call him and confirm a day and time to visit him in the shop.  Start with a slate pot and then venture into bronzed glass and other surfaces.  Get him to show you, put some time in, and figure out which 2 are the right ones for your start.  You might even pick up a box.

His calls are imminently affordable, for custom calls in particular, and you could kill plenty of turkeys if you never bought from another maker.  Plus, going there and choosing your own will short circuit all the trial and error of relying on what others think and like and save money and trouble in the long run.

Lonnie does not have a website and does not ship.  You have to go see him to buy from him.

Offline Boykin Hollow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2019, 12:33:39 PM »
Wendell Rye of "Lights Out Calls"  makes some nice pot calls for $45.00.  I have some of them and they are pure turkey !!!

Offline kyhareraiser

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2019, 08:06:34 PM »
I make some double sided pot calls . glass as a surface on front with a smaller slate surface on the back side .   i call it the best of both worlds .  lol