OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Looking for advice on first pot call purchase  (Read 5853 times)

Offline ugaDAWGS09

Looking for advice on first pot call purchase
« on: January 05, 2019, 01:47:20 PM »
I just started turkey hunting last season and was able to kill one good bird using a primos box call, but I'm looking to find a good all around pot call for this season.  I'm not sure if I should be looking for a slate or glass or what to buy?  Thanks for the help.

Offline Daddy rat

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Looking for advice on first pot call purchase
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 02:00:34 PM »
Some many good call makers today, slate is probably easier of tha 2 to keep conditioned. If your close to Helen,Ga  unicoi call makers show is next weekend you can play some of best of best   Only problem will be buying just 1

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 02:01:42 PM »
It's mainly personal preference. Slate sounds good but is more finicky in damp/wet weather. I am a fan of glass or crystal. Others like aluminum or copper but those suffices require a little more care in my opinion. Some Carry only one pot and some carry a vestful. My personal suggestion is a glass or crystal for starters  but that's just me. Plenty can be had for a reasonable price.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline tomfooleryy

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 02:33:00 PM »
Gotta agree with Happy. Depending on humidity conditions where you hunt slate may not be your best option. It’s hard to go wrong with a good glass or crystal call. Several good makers that come to mind right off hand would be Lonzo, halloran, Schaffer, strawser and many others! Good luck sticking with just one!

Offline Pooh4459

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 02:38:45 PM »
I'd pm Daddy Rat the first guy that commented to you. He is owner of strut zone calls and makes an awesome pot and could get you both surfaces for an awesome price. Wont be disappointed

Offline raven105

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 03:14:02 PM »
I'd pm Daddy Rat the first guy that commented to you. He is owner of strut zone calls and makes an awesome pot and could get you both surfaces for an awesome price. Wont be disappointed
What Pooh said, can’t go wrong with Paul’s calls. Let the addiction begin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 03:51:33 PM »
Have to laugh! One call !!?? These things are like potato chips! I started back after many years last season. Really didn`t realize how much I missed being in the woods. I have two pots, a crystal Halloran and an aluminum for wet weather. As " bad" as pots are, strikers are even worse when it comes to purchases! But...it is sooo much fun! Enjoy!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 04:07:12 PM »
Slate or Crystal would be my personal choices.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline JLH

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 04:20:50 PM »
For your first call...and I had to have only 1.....I'd go with a green slate, with a couple strikers.

And make sure one striker is waterproof!!

Offline MDTOM84

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 06:42:00 PM »
Some many good call makers today, slate is probably easier of tha 2 to keep conditioned. If your close to Helen,Ga  unicoi call makers show is next weekend you can play some of best of best   Only problem will be buying just 1
just talk to this guy, he makes some of the best pots on the market!

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 06:52:30 PM »
Not the first call I bought but haven't needed another since :)

My answer is always the same, my Cody World Class Slate is a "killer" call!!

MK M GOBL

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 07:41:01 PM »
I’ll agree w happy as well. Here’s an idea, why not get two from the classifieds. It’d be cheaper and you can’t stop at one call anyway!!
Crystal Mistress and Oak Ridge Atomic 13. The Atomic 13 is Aluminum but there’s not really much maintenance except cleaning. The mistress is a crystal. Believe me there’s so many calls you’re gonna want. Great makers for all types but if you were my brother I’d have you start here.
FYI if it’s even damp or humid slate is useless many times.
Why don’t you just get the first two or three of the two or three hundred you’ll eventually have.

Offline chuckward

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 08:04:43 PM »
Halloran Crystal Mistress would be a good start

Offline ugaDAWGS09

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 09:01:50 PM »
Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm gonna PM Daddy Rat and check the classifieds.

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2019, 09:52:10 PM »
All surfaces can sound good even in humid damp conditions if you have a good carbon rod , synthetic,
Striker. I suggest having a couple different  strikers that gives you a couple different hens to choose from. There are many great pot call makers on this site and some have already been suggested. Good luck on only buying one it can get addictive, enjoy your new call and let us know what you chose!!!!!